This week’s New Thing is my super-short story for January 2016. It is actually a follow-up to last November’s story, which ended on a cliffhanger.
In addition to writing words here, I have a personal slice-of-life podcast where I share my thoughts using spoken words! I have a dislike of overly long podcasts, so I decided to keep this one under five minutes.
After hemming and hawing about getting an iPhone, I finally broke down and got an iPhone 6 to replace my poor old Nokia Lumia 530. During the buying process, and over the first few months of ownership, I noticed a few things:
- I usually don’t buy cases for my phones but I am DEFINITELY getting one this time.
- I think the sales guy forgot to take off the plastic they put over the screen, gonna have to figure out how to take apart the case now >.<
- Speaking of the sales guy, he was starting to push just a little too hard to get me to buy another on-contract device. Grr.
- First order of business: upgrade to iOS 9!
- Make that the second order or business, had to charge it fully first.
- Weird thing: My Apple purchases have been three years apart: iMac in 2009, iPad mini in 2012 and now an iPhone. I guess I’ll be getting a new iThingie in 2018
- Picked up an OtterBox Defender case, which turned the slim, sleek, sexy iPhone into a big chunky thing. I may have gone overboard on the whole ‘protection’ thing.
- Then again, I like having a little heft to my devices, so it’s just as well
- There is something weirdly satisfying about snapping my phone into its OtterBox belt clip.
- It’s just as well that I traded in my Windows Phone, I don’t even think I could get few magic beans for it at this point.
- Speaking of which, I keep going OMG I CAN ACTUALLY GET THAT APP NOW instead of “Aww, no Windows Phone version.”
- iPhone is Coke. Android is Pepsi. Windows Phone is that godawful ‘Cola’ they have at the dollar store.
- I nearly talked myself out of an iPhone while waiting in the store. I started thinking: “Well, maybe an Android…” but then remembered my past experiences with them.
- When did Android phones get more expensive than iPhones?
- Sign of the times: I didn’t realize I hadn’t set up my voicemail until I got a phone call the next day.
- I thought I’d have to charge my iPhone once it hit 10% but it took a while for it to get really low.
- Not sure what I’m going to do with the earbuds that came with it: 99% of earbuds don’t fit my ears so I’m not even going to try them on.
- I’m having to get used to having a good camera on my phone. The iPhone has all but replaced my point-and-shoot Sony camera.
- That said, it was almost a full week before I took a picture, and it wasn’t even a selfie.
- Time since last charge: 51.5 hours standby, 7.5 hours usage 😀
- I already miss Cortana!