You know, I can never resist a good ‘in Soviet Russia’ joke. Actually, I can’t resist a bad one, either.
Buying a house has all but consumed my life for these last two months. Nearly everything that I have been thinking about or doing (or blogging) since early March has been house-related. Finding a house, negotiating for it, digging up all the documents for the bank, shopping for insurance, finding a storage unit, moving all of my stuff out of my apartment into the storage unit, moving in with my cousins, closing, moving out of my cousin’s, then getting all my stuff from storage into the house and now I’m taking things out of boxes and putting things in their place and buying appliances.
Along the way, I missed out on quite a few things due to either poor planning, bad luck, or fatigue: Wild Nights, the St. Phillips Anime Club Bubblehead Tea event, Free Comic Book Day, the Central Texas Toy and Comic Expo and the Anthrocon conbook deadline. My stress level got pretty high and I even got sent to the “principal’s office” at work for getting a little too rowdy with a customer. My aggravation got to the point that I went from “this will be totally worth it” to “this had better be worth it.”
It has been just over a week after I got the keys, and the number of moving boxes cluttering up the living room is gradually decreasing. I am hoping to be at some semblance of ‘normal’ (or at least as normal as it gets for me) by week’s end, especially after the new refrigerator is delivered later this week. I ask myself, was this worth all the bother and stress and money and time and missed fun?
Without hesitation, I think: Yeah. Totally worth it.
After about 2 months of looking, negotiating, gathering money and signing a metric crapton of papers, I am finally in my new (to me) home. Of course, I noticed a few things:
- As mentioned previously, we didn’t discuss which, if any, appliances were going to be left. They left behind the one thing I didn’t want: the electric range.
- I took a peek inside the oven and wished I hadn’t. I don’t think it has EVER been cleaned.
- On the plus side, there appears to be a gas line present. Time for an upgrade!
- Well, after I buy a refrigerator, first.
- and get the utility guys to make sure the gas line is good…guess it might be a while.
- Seriously, it looks like it was never used, some people just don’t know what they’re missing
- No refrigerator, but there’s a water line so I can get an ice maker. Woo!
- There is a general air of uncleanliness around the place. The oven, the tub needs scrubbing, the floors need sweeping, and the carpet is shag-nasty!
- I even had to sweep some webs and stuff from a few walls…ew.
- Speaking of the carpet, there’s this weird red-pink fuzz all over the master bedroom floor??
- Checking the keys, I found one that didn’t work in the outside locks…it was for the master bedroom. Oh-kaay.
- …and the second bedroom door doesn’t lock. I’m sensing some trust issues here.
- The doorbell doesn’t work, and I thought I was antisocial.
- It’s only temporary anyway; I want a doorbell that sounds like the one from the Jetsons…seriously!
- Finding bug traps everywhere…well, maybe if they cleaned up a little.
- First major upgrade (after a gas stove) will be a new shower/tub, but for now some bleach and a good scrubbing will have to do.
- People have gotten smarter about their network security, no open hotspots nearby.
- Spent the first night vacuuming and filled up the machine’s dust canister after one bedroom…EW.
- I don’t think I’ve ever filled up the dust canister when vacuuming my whole apartment.
- Yeah, definitely going to need a new shower head, I like to feel the water bouncing off my chest like I’m Superman
- I’ve never had a garage before, its nice.
- Scratch that, having a garage is AWESOME. Yes, it has rained recently, why do you ask?
- I found what appear to be used plastic bags and aluminum foil in a kitchen drawer…I wonder if the previous owner was also Mexican.
- I didn’t think I was going to need a lawn mower anytime soon and then heavy rain came down the day I got the keys. Nuts.
- Once again, I get to pick between the duopoly of suck for internet: Time Warner and AT&T 😦
- Actually, I think I’ll go with Clear
- Damn, it feels good to be able to walk around in my boxers again!!