I don’t know when the light finally came on, but when it did, I’m pretty sure I did a facepalm. After weeks of negotiating prices, repairs, dates and all that yadda yadda yadda on the house I want to buy, I realized that I had overlooked one important little thing:
You know, those little things that make life more convenient: a refrigerator to store food in, a stove to cook that food on, and a washer and dryer to wash clothes that have gotten dirty after cooking and eating said food. Since the disposition of the appliances is not in the home purchase contract, I could open up the door on Thursday to find the aforementioned modern conveniences waiting for me….or I’ll be making an emergency trip to Ye Olde Electronics or Department Store for a new refrigerator and stove.
It’s not as bad as it seems: If there is no washer and dryer, then its back to hanging out with the freakos at the laundromat. As far as the stove goes, I plan on replacing the it anyway because the home has an electric stove, something which I have learned to loathe during my many years of apartment living. Things might get a little dicey without a refrigerator, though, because I really like cold sodas and dairy.
Oh well, just as long as they leave the hot water heater. Then again, I’ve gone without hot water, too! 😉
What every new home needs!
I turned in the keys to my old apartment today, and so I once again bid farewell to one apartment while getting settled into a new one.
- Whily my method of shuttling stuff back and forth with my compact car is horribly inefficient, it gets me plenty of exercise.
- Okay, yeah, its ridonkulous and I should just do everything at once next time.
- I thought “why is it pink instead of blue?” upon seeing the toilet paper and rubber duckie above and then I saw the Susan G. Komen card and pink ribbon. Ohhhh. Derp.
- Speaking of which, I always leave a roll of toilet paper in the old place. I’m not sure why, its just something I do.
- Sometimes I wonder if I am really this elated at being here, or am I just high from paint fumes?
- It only took two trips to move the crap that wouldn’t fit in my car, so yeah, I should have packed everything else up.
- Cable guys are much more efficient when you have the apartment folks call them.
- That’s a good thing, too, because once again, I’m facing the wrong way to get a satellite. Rats.
- Digital thermostats are awesome.
- The new place’s built-in shelves can hold all of my games and movies, and it is BEAUTIFUL!
- I have been in such a better mood now that my commute has been cut in half. God, how I hate traffic, and once those really tall ramps (or skyways as I like to call ’em) on 281/1604 are done, the commute should be smooth sailing.
- My commute should be cut about in half, which is good because holy cats, gas is getting expensive!
- It really says something when even the dollar store in the new neighborhood is nicer.
- The nearest HEB is an older one. Somehow, this isn’t a problem.
- The nearest Wal-Mart got upgraded from a “Raunchy-Mart” to a Supercenter since my last visit. Nice.
- The nearest Best Buy might just be a little too close, I think I need to freeze my credit card…I mean literally, as in ICE.
- I should have gotten rid of that old living room furniture a LONG time ago.
- Shopping for new furniture has been a drag so far, maybe I should just get a bunch of beanbags, or move my bed into the living room.
- Moving stuff while working the 9-6 shift work during the wintertime SUCKS.
- Really, it wasn’t until that first Saturday that I went, “Gee, this is what this place looks like during the day.”
- The water heater at my old place didn’t hold enough hot water to take a bath, no wonder I was so cranky there.
- The oven here isn’t much bigger than the one at my old place, but at least it has A LIGHT! Seriously, the last one felt like an Easy-Bake.
- The margin of error on that thing is pretty darn thin, though, one long paragraph or trip to the bathroom and I end up with dark brown instead of golden brown cookies.
- My TV looks kind of small now, maybe its time to upgrade! 🙂
-whew- I finally got everything moved in and where I want it. The biggest adjustment I had to make was the new desk. It doesn’t have any drawers so I bought one of those plastic cabinet thingies to chuck all of my junk into. It’s clear plastic, so you can see all the cables, old cards, manuals and other crap that’s inside, I can’t wait for guests to ask “WTF is all that junk?” I had to buy a new microwave…well, make that A microwave, my last place had one built-in, and I haven’t owned one in years, but that’s a story for another time.
Of course, the place isn’t quite 100% yet, but that’ll be taken care of on Saturday when the cable guy comes to hook me up to the tubes and I can jump back on Live. I also need to purchase a second barstool, and then I’ll be ready to throw a party! Don’t forget to bring the beer, RavynX! 😀