Category Archives: Con Talk
80 Things I Noticed at Texas Furry Fiesta 2018
Texas’ biggest furry convention moved to a new hotel this year, which introduced a few new issues. Overall, though, it was a lot of fun. As always, I noticed a few things:
- BEFORE/DRIVE UP-I’m a little bummed over missing the conbook deadline but that’s what my website is for.
- I’m guessing I’m going to see a lot of Alices and Mad Hatters. Hopefully, the cartoon versions.
- Seriously, I thought the 2010 version was ‘The Mad Hatter Movie”
- I will openly admit to being jealous of all my friends that will be there on Thursday
- I swear work gets tougher the last few days before a vacation…it’s like THEY KNOW
- Okay, I wussed out and told my cowokers I was going to a ‘comiccon’
- Does loading Disney soundtracks onto a USB stick for the drive qualify someone as ‘furry trash?’ Asking for a friend.
- Thing I forgot: Cologne. Given the female-to-male ratio it’s just as well!
- I’ve lost about 30 pounds since last TFF. I bought a pair of slim fit jeans so I gotta keep the weight off now!
- Honestly, I-35 keeps getting better and better each year…Temple notwithstanding
- The Czech stop was definitely worth the 200-mile wait!
- Parking seems to be one of the big issues early on; I was furtunate to get a spot fairly close by.
- I feel like a tourist lugging my bags around the hotel before check-in.
- It wasn’t too long before I started running into friends, YAY FRIENDS!
- I had forgotten about the placeholder name I had placed on the reservation beforehand, which made for a funny moment: “So that will be two keys: One for you, and another for Roger Rabbit?”
- “Can I get the lowest room available? I have a thing with heights.”
- New hotel is very nice, though the open elevators are a little scary for me. (see above)
- FRIDAY-Noticed a few folks kvetching about the lack of con suite this year. Hopefully they bring the snacks back because playing ‘bartender’ there was great fun.
- The Presidential Suite is open to Super-Sponsors, though.
- Forgot to print out my reg sheet for the first time ever. *hangs head in shame*
- Their reg was so fast it didn’t matter.
- The Hyatt Regency feels so wide open compared to the other hotels.
- Taking five fights of stairs to the room (if I don’t want to wait for the elevator) is definitely a workout
- The hotel room has an Ethernet port, and me without a cable *argh*
- New camera has been great, but the battery went dry after only 75 pictures! So glad I got a spare…that I had to retrieve from my room. *pant* *gasp* *wheeze*
- It’s awesome that the con T-shirts aren’t black this year.
- I’m usually pretty careful about catching autocorrects before I hit Send, but finally had one slip through the net 😀
- There’s a fursuiter named Sherbert who has you try to guess their gender. I went with ‘male’ because if I can’t figure someone’s gender in 3 seconds at a con, I just assume it’s a guy.
- I am seriously considering buying a Lemonbrat partial fursuit.
- Overall, the bigger hotel is pretty nice with plenty of space to work with BUT the elevator situation is pretty bad and it is a (understandably) a mite warm inside.
- That moment when you realize the fursuiter you’ve seen in a partial for months now has a fullsuit which means SHE’S NAKED NOW OMG
- It’s 6pm, send in the normies!
- There are places to eat downtown if you don’t mind a little walk. Cool.
- Elevator situation is pretty awful, I wonder if the top-floor con suite is a contributing factor.
- Random young lady: “Are you Eduardo Soliz?”
Me: “The one and only!” *peers at person* “Do I know you?”
Her: “No but I love your YouTube channel!”
UPDATE: Found her on Twitter!
- Maybe I’m not done with “Con Talk” after all…
- I really really need to get cracking on making some panels for next year’s Furry Fiesta. People want them!
- SATURDAY-630AM and I don’t want to be up, but I guess I’m up, bleh.
- Might be early enough to hit Waffle House without losing my parking, hmm
- Upon further review I decided not to risk losing my spot.
- A little disappointed in the scheduling app; it shows the full schedule without hiding events that have already passed.
- Oh, I have to manually refresh it. Derp.
- Nope, still didn’t do it. Boo.
- For some reason I have Matthew Ebel’s “Merry Christmas from Cell Block 2” in my head
- Are the microphones in the panel rooms even on?
- New addition to the fursuit parade: Concerned parents
- Dunno what the deal was with the peanut gallery continually yelling “Spring Break” during the parade but it was annoying to the point where I might put music over the parade audio. UPDATE: I didn’t.
- Nothing like 40-degree weather to make you want a fursuit.
- Freezing my face off was totally worth it for the Cuban sandwich, though
- If you’re running audio you should be professional enough to know to not talk while a presentation is going on. Fuzzing amateurs
- Another great Furry Psychology talk from Nuka. I was getting a little sleepy near the end, and not because of the content, just to be clear!
- I learned that some of the FurScience folks went to San Japan last year. I invited them to attend “Furry 101” this year. COME ON GUYS, I WENT TO YOUR PANEL AND I DID MY HOMEWORK 😀
- The partial suit I was thinking about buying was sold. Oh well.
- A friend bought Lemonbrat’s ‘Tide Pod Fox’ and got very popular very quickly.
- Knees starting to feel it by afternoon, likely due to all the stair-climbing bought on by not wanting to wait for the elevators…or I’m just getting old.
- Halfway down the stairs to go to dinner, I realized I still had my bear tail on. Screw it.
- Nothing like walking 2/3 of a mile to go to Spaghetti Warehouse in 30-degree weather.
- Totally worth it, though. Chicken parm you taste so good.
- I was disappointed to find karaoke was full up; I wanted to sing ‘Why Should I Worry’ by Billy Joel from ‘Oliver and Company.’ The canines would have loved it!
- Nice lobby-wide howl on Saturday night, by the way.
- I wanted to be all supportive and stuff for Padunk’s first panel, but it was completely packed! I guess that was a sign it went well! (link warning: some naughty bits)
- Drunk normies + fursuiters = hilarity
- I swear the ‘Two women: One embarrassingly drunk and the other trying to get them to stop being embarrassing’ bit is a trope.
- SUNDAY/TRIP HOME-Breakfast was weird: After we got seated, the hostess kept fussing over our table being dirty (it wasn’t) The table is fine lady, I WANT FOOD
- Mom never made ‘fingerling potatoes’ for breakfast, just sayin. That said, they were tasty.
- No salsa on the breakfast buffet? What is this, NEW YORK CITY?
- The longer the con goes, the harder it gets to not take multiple pictures of the same fursuiters. Oh well!
- Me to friend: “I was thinking about buying a partial”
Her: “I have a bear head base I haven’t started yet.”
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
- So yeah, I may be getting a fursuit made.
- Left the con at probably the earliest time I’ve ever left. Continually going up and down four flights of stairs took more out of me than I thought.
- To the jackass who parked their Honda CRX in the middle of the end of the parking lot: YOU SUCK.
- I am very glad I only make two trips that involve I-35 a year
- Didn’t stop at Buc-ees on the way home, the Wendy’s across the freeway was too tempting. I may have sinned against Texas.
- Big thank you to the solider who fished a soda out of the machine for me at the Bell rest stop. Enjoy the freebie!
- Note to self: Lay off the caffeine on the day when you are making a long drive unless you want to make restroom stops every 50 miles or so >.<
- AFTERWARDS-I will openly admit to being jealous of my friends that are still at the con on Monday.
- I think the reason I don’t get post-con depression is that afterwards I go over pictures, post the fursuit parade video, work on this list, prepare for and record a podcast, so the show isn’t really over for me for several days.
- There is apparently an underground tunnel leading from near Union Station to the hotel. I may consider taking a train ride for next year.
- Remember how I said “Con Talk” was over a few months ago? I was never very good at lying. 😉
- “Roll Fur Initiative” for next year’s theme? I guess Creativity failed her saving throw! Hey, I tried!
67 Things I Noticed During San Japan X
The tenth San Japan came and went like a lion. I had three panels to do and my compatriot WolfBoy had furry things to do. As always, I noticed a few things…
- BEFORE-Okay San Japan people, I’ll do a third panel I’ve never done before and have to prepare in three days because you asked so nicely. Just spell my name right in the schedule this time, mmmkay?
- Time to retire my 2009 iMac from recording duties, it derped out on me when recording the pre-game podcast and ate some audio >.<
- I asked a friend if he was going to San Japan and he said he was more of an ‘indie rock’ guy versus ‘arena rock’ so I had to try to convince him that San Japan wasn’t just another ‘autograph-con’
- Holy cats, did we get salty during the pre-game podcast.
- I’ll be wearing my smartwatch for the first time since I got laid off because I HAVE IMPORTANT ANIME CON THINGS TO DO.
- I also won’t be wearing my rings. I’ve lost enough weight to where they’re starting to slip off my fingers now; a good problem to have.
- PROTIP: You can read the Chili’s lunch special menu through the window if you want to be weird
- Walking through the mall, WolfBoy and I decided to stop and take a seat…in front of the Victoria’s Secret. YEAH, NOT CREEPY AT ALL
- It says something that I can get 12 Streetpasses in my hotel room on Thursday night
- I finally remembered my Nintendo 3DS this time!
- As I get the presentation together for the third panel, I’m really looking forward to putting it on!
- Seems folks are taking a bit longer than usual to get set up, either that or were just really early
- I asked for a bigger panel room and I got it…boy, did I get it 0_0
- THURSDAY NIGHT-530pm No Japanese arcade machines set up. WolfBoy: “WORST CON EVAR!”
1000pm Initial D cabinet set up. WolfBoy: “BEST CON EVAR!”
- Idiots asking “Is San Japan not happening because of Hurricane Harvey or gas shortages?” should be charged double for their badges.
- Concerning: Nobody was watching the entrances Thursday night
- Also concerning: The way too wide open aisles behind the artists with nothing to keep people from walking down them. Hope there aren’t any thefts.
- At the risk of sounding like a shill, Verizon service has been pretty awesomesauce. A little slow at times, but ‘slow’ is better than ‘none.’
- FRIDAY-First the signs weren’t big enough, and now they aren’t spelled right. This is why Dave is already grey, people!
- Charger box things at the Henry B are almost a good idea, the flaw is that most folks can’t bear to be away from their phones
- Dear Guidebook: If I only have one event downloaded PLEASE OPEN THE FREAKING EVENT WHEN I LAUNCH THE APP, K?
- Also: TOO MANY SCHEDULE FILTER OPTIONS
- Artist friends: Don’t just say “I’m in artist alley, find me.” There are over 100 artists. I NEED DETAILS!
- Sure, WolfBoy, it’s only 90 degrees outside and you’re wearing a partial fursuit with a dark business suit LETS GO
- Always adorable to see little girls taking pictures with Wonder Woman cosplayers
- Not sure why, but they kicked up the difficulty on the Time Pilot game in the game room. I spent longer than usual getting the high score.
- Got inadvertently put to work in Registration directing traffic for ten minutes. JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT THEY PULL ME BACK IN
- Almost lost my badge before Furry 101, yipes!
- As I saw people walk away from the convention center for dinner, I had a feeling attendance was going to be down for Furry 101.
- Dear former coworker: If I didn’t want to talk to you at work, what makes you think I’m going to want to talk to you outside of work?
- I apparently can’t give a panel if I can’t read my presentation, the rear projection screens at Furry 101 completely threw me off >.<
- Just as well, I don’t like presenting while standing over people on a stage.
- We had 150-200 people at the panel, I guess that justifies the biggest room at the con. 😛
- Annoying thing: People that use Q&A time to make dumb jokes. Get a life.
- REALLY annoying thing: People that try to answer questions during the Q&A part of my panel. GET YOUR OWN PANEL
- The A/V guy was very complimentary after Furry 101, though. Thanks man!
- The only time I get a ton of steps is at cons and after 20,000 today, my dogs were barking.
- By ‘dogs’ I mean feet, not like actual dogs or furry costumed dogs.
- SATURDAY-When you’re up at 6am on Saturday morning, you’re up, what can I say
- If you aren’t willing to make your own waffle at the hotel breakfast, YOU DON’T WANT IT BAD ENOUGH.
- There is another event happening at the Henry B, which answers the question of why there was a higher-than usual number of older Mexican women around downtown San Antonio in the morning.
- Weirdest thing I’ve heard so far: “Dad, doesn’t she have nice boobs?”
- There seem to be quite a few empty tables even in the Dealer’s room; an effect of Harvey, perhaps?
- The number of people donating blood is pretty awesome
- Peeked in on the panel that took my spot from the beta schedule and they had just as many people as I had the night before…maybe less.
- To be fair, they’re a major sponsor and I’m just a guy with a microphone, an attitude, and weird friends.
- I kinda want a Steven Universe T-shirt (think I got a little resemblance to Steven there) but I kinda don’t want to pay thirt bucks for one
- To the harpy working A/V before my audio panel: If you don’t want attitude thrown back at you, don’t fire first. I’ve done tech support too, but I treated my people and customers with respect until they gave me a reason not to.
- “Really Basic Auido Recording” was easily the worst panel I’ve done in a while; next time I’ll just say no…or hold another ‘hide Dave for an hour podcast’ panel.
- That said, the few people that did hang around had really good questions!
- Bad idea: Dragging a boom mic (and it’s heavy base) to the panel. I think I’ll use a Rock Band mic next time to make a point.
- Heard an ambulance and thought ‘Oh boy, it’s a party now,’ but it didn’t stop at the con
- SUNDAY-Other artist booths : Out to lunch Friend’s booth: Out Fursuiting
- To the people playing Bee Gees and Michael Jackson on their Bluetooth speakers: THANK YOU FOR PLAYING GOOD MUSIC
- That said, can we just ban those damn things from cons already?
- Had to defend my honor by retaking the top spot on the Time Pilot game (see #26). I doubled the score that had topped mine. BEAT THAT, AAA!
- Parking lot guy: “Twenty bucks”
I parked at the city lot across from the Hyatt for $11 so NEENER NEENER PARKING LOT GUY
- Old hotness: Mind-reading robot cat ears
New hotness: Ballcaps with words
- Thing to remember for next year: Fursuit straws!
- I think I’m finally over being weirded out by crossplay…mostly.
- Funniest question of the weekend: “Are you a Mawg?”
- E-book panel went awesomely; lots of people with good questions and I had JUST enough handouts!
- Two out of three good panels ain’t bad!
- Highly disappointed in the other ‘How to publish books’ panel; I spent 25 minutes hearing the guest blab on about herself and walked out. I think I had a bigger audience, too.
- I’m going to be that old guy (because I am) and mention that too many products and displays in Artist Alley/Dealer Room had swear words on them. There seemed to be less nudity than in years past, though
- AFTER- Might be time to retire my digital camera, too many ‘ghost spots’ >.<
- Step count: Thursday 19627, Friday 20797, Saturday 23268, Sunday 14284 I swear cons are the only place I get a lot of exercise, I should go to more!
44 Things I Noticed at Furry Siesta 2017
Furry Siesta is a summer event held by the happy shiny fuzzy people that host Furry Fiesta; it offers an opportunity for furry fun in the middle of the insanely hot Texas summer. I have always wanted to go but kept missing the opportunity until this year.
- This isn’t a con, but I’m going to blab about it anyway.
- This will be my last nerd thing before my
forced vacationlayoff on the 18th.
- Pre-game podcast turned into Furry Crossfire, one for, one against, and me in the middle.
- Since this is the summer and it’s hot as balls, it’s a lot easier to pack for than Furry Fiesta.
- Going to hit up The National Videogame Museum in Frisco, they’re supposed to have an 80’s arcade, looking forward to seeing how authentic it is.
- Nearly forgot to post my Fursuit Friday picture on Twitter, luckily my passengers were running late.
- Of course they showed up just after I typed that.
- Drive up wasn’t bad, typical downtown Dallas traffic notwithstanding.
- The National Videogame Museum is awesome! They have loads of cool stuff to look at, the arcade is legit, and they even have their own tokens! I kept one and got a T-shirt.
- Left a high score on their Mappy machine BECAUSE FURRIES.
- Some guy at Hooters left their H3 window open in the rain and didn’t realize it until WAY too late despite the waitresses asking if it was his vehicle. D’oh!
- Holy cats, getting around the DFW Airport was bonkers.
- We’re sharing the hotel with a Freemasons gathering, this should be fun.
- I love it when my hotel room has a refrigerator, time for a trip to the store for soda!
- Printed out my preregistration only to discover that it wasn’t necessary. PLANET KILLERS!
- Furry Siesta is exactly what it says on the tin: A furmeet in a big hotel room.
- The Hyatt Regency DFW seems to be embracing the fun.
- Maybe not too much, though, there is no signage to be found in the lobby.
- No mention of Siesta on the schedule boards, either, so disregard #17 after all.
- There were dog bowls put under the water coolers spigots as spill guards. What I want to know is: Did they already have dog bowls and why?
- Megaplex was also taking place the same weekend, leading some folks to refer to Siesta as: “I can’t afford to go to Megaplex”-con.
- Put all relevant info on the website, guys. I know updating it is a pain, but not everyone uses social media or has access to it during your event.
- Portable Bluetooth speakers, how I hate you. I have bad taste in music too, but I keep it to myself.
- Overall, it was a pleasant place to hang out, though a few more tables might have been nice.
- It also got a little warm in there but not terribly so as I’ve been told happened in years past.
- Note to self: When on the road and you have to choose between “North” and “South” ALWAYS PICK NORTH.
- Dear friends that use the word ‘ghetto’ to describe locations you think are unpleasant: I have now been to a truly ‘ghetto’ place and y’all need to calm the fluff down.
- Wow this hotel is nice, think I’ll plug my lappy into the TV so I can watch a mov…Oh. It doesn’t have a HDMI port. >.<
- I forgot my HDMI cable so it’s just as well.
- I need to stop trying to guess what species people are. Luckily, the
lizardfrog was very understanding.
- Wrote down two story outlines on Saturday morning, so the trip is now TOTALLY WORTH IT.
- Found Maskimals at a local Wal-Mart and was disappointed to find they had no brown bear heads…at least not one I’d want to wear.
- Nothing says furries like seeing “Disney mixes” on the music schedule.
- Except for a few fuzzies on the dance floor, the party was over at 830…in the main room, anyway 😉
- It cost nearly $30 to fill up my CR-V for the trip home. 0_0
- The party came back to life later in the evening, though.
- Can you get PCD if isn’t really a con? Guess we’ll see.
- Sunday morning and the party’s over, not a single fuzzer to be found.
- Waiter at Waffle House sees my San Antonio Spurs hat, proceeds to say “I used to live there and I hate San Antonio.” Way to endear yourself to your customers.
- Given that he screwed up our (and other folks’) orders, didn’t ask if I wanted cream, didn’t refill my coffee, screwed up our checks, and pretty much sucked at his job, DFW can have him.
- If you are wearing a fursuit maker’s shirt be sure to have a prepared answer for the inevitable “what is that?” question.
- Stopped at the Buc-ee’s near Temple on the way down, and it was NUTS.
- Fursuit tails apparently make good travelling pillows.
- WE WENT TO YOUR THINGS DALLAS FURS, NOW YOU HAVE TO COME TO OURS! That’s Alamo City Furry Invasion on October 6-8 at the El Tropicano Hotel in San Antonio! See you there!
62 Things I Noticed at San Japan 009
San Japan (totally not Cyborg) 009 happened last weekend. Amidst the new venue and new date, I noticed some things. If I took your picture (I was the dude with bear ears, see below) you can find it here!
THURSDAY NIGHT – Went in the old entrance of the Gonzalez Convention Center out of habit…oops
- New space is YUUUGE
- My fursuiter friends are already complaining about all the walking they’re going to be doing over the weekend.
- Artist alley is HUMONGOUS
- Dealer’s room is INSANE
- They ARE going to turn on the escalators in the Dealer’s room, right?
- Autograph area setup looks like what I see set up at comic-cons, hmm
- Located in the back corner, milk and eggs and all that
- If Labor Day does take a bite out of attendance, we’ll really see it on Friday, IMO
- Me gusta bigger panel room for Furry 101! About fuzzing time!
- The halls remind me of PAX South Year 1 but with the lights on
- Seriously, the HBG felt like a cavern back then with all the lights turned down
- Spiffy new booths for registration, ooh
Badges are less nice this year, a little more papery. Hope they hold up.Compared them to last year’s badges after the fact and they’re the same.
- Press badges get the same art as volunteer ones? BOO!
- The YUUUGE maps were just a bit confusing.
- Didn’t help that they put teensy ‘You Are Here’ stickers that were near-impossible to find. Maybe some gold stars or Pokeball stickers next time, guys?
- FRIDAY-This is my free day: No panels and my freaks aren’t showing up until late in the afternoon
- Arrived at 11 and easily found parking at the Houston street lot, wonder if that’s a sign
- Random person also walking to San Japan asked if the tin of Altoids rattling in my pocket were dice. OH HELL NO
- Walked into the Henry B. via the main entrance this time. Is niiice!
- Finally found someone pickier than Alvin Von Devious to try and help with their fursuit. Came close to (metaphorically) flipping the table.
- Customer service tip: Just answer my question without the lame jokes, please.
- So who gets to be the under/sideboob/cheek checker?
- Escalators in the dealer’s room are shut off, no bueno.
- One dealer’s display had ALL THE BOOBS.
- But that’s okay because they’re just cartoons…right?
- “History of Anime in the US” got the biggest panel room and about 50 people showed up. Yes, I counted.
- Good panel, but come on, I had that many the first time I did Furry 101 three years ago at RealmsCon.
- Do they even check to see how many people actually show up at panels? Seriously.
- I kept waiting to hear one word at History of Anime but it never turned up: “Japanimation” That’s what we called it in the 80’s, kids!
- Friend and I did our good deed for the day getting a friend out of a jam.
- It took me a half hour but I had to claim the top spot on the Time Pilot game in the game room. EDS is on top where it belongs. *flex*
- Somehow I got pegged as the guy ‘running’ the furry meetup and some folks freaked when I showed up late. THAT’S NOT HOW THIS WORKS, GUYS
- SATURDAY-Easy parking on Houston St again, which has me slightly worried
- Saw displays made out of free Priority Mail boxes in the dealer’s room. Classy.
- Only the first 100 people get an autograph? Interesting.
- “It is up to the artist whether 101+ get an autograph” There has to be a better way to say that without making the artist look like a complete tool.
- The Taito Groove Coaster video game calls the Space Invaders alien a ‘crab’ IT’S AN ALIEN GUYS
- I keep thinking ‘Spock ears’ whenever I see pointy ears
- An anime con is one of the few places where you can lose a fursuiter
- Need to mark the lanes in Artist Alley, which one is ‘Row 5’ again?
- Arrived too late to the Bitforce concert to take advantage of my press badge, pbbt
- Wonder if they had technical problems; we could see the lead guitarist was shredding his fingers off but could barely hear him. Otherwise, good show!
- Except for the game room, the air conditioning seems to be holding up well.
- Good thing too, because I was soaking after the occasional three-block walk to my car.
- The paleta man is back, woo!
- Nearly filled up our medium-sized panel room for Furry 101, w00t.
- 45 minute time limit threw me off, though, may have to reorganize things for next time.
- I only have two cosplays (Professor Utonium and Soos). I didn’t wear either, and saw the perfect people to take pictures with (The Powerpuff Girls and Giffany)! ARGH
- 18+ maid cafe was fun!
- Tipsy elevator normies were…interesting.
- Tipsy normie asked: “WHY YOU WEARING MOUSE EARS?” I’m not going to debate with someone holding a drink in public, they won’t remember anyway.
- SUNDAY-Less parking at the lot, but still no problem finding a spot; be interesting to see the attendance this year (It was down 12%)
- Been seeing a lot of ‘robot guts’ shirts around, guess they’re a hit.
- Hey panel door guy, the door opens when I say so, capisce?
- Noticed a lot of Judy Hopps cosplayers, bunny ears, Nick Wildes, and even an Assistant Mayor Bellweather. YAY ZOOTOPIA!
- Overwatch was also popular. I don’t even play the game, but for my friends it’s always HIIIGH NOOOON.
- Left early because the show just isn’t as fun without my friends!
- Mizuumi-Con is now “Otaku Fair” That’s good.
- Otaku Fair decided to not make any further announcements about their new event at THE BIGGEST EVENT IN THE CITY FOR POTENTIAL ATTENDEES. That’s not good.
- Observation: Labor Day weekend works great for older folks like myself. For the youngn’s, though, not so much.
45 Things I Noticed During Fiesta Equestria 2015
This past weekend was my first-ever My Little Pony con (bronycon?) Fiesta Equestria! By now you have probably heard about ‘Bronies,’ or adults that like the show. If not, would you like to know more?
- BEFORE THE CON : As much as I don’t like to ding a show before it starts, they seem to be a bit unorganized based on their website/schedule issues
- No, brony friends, just because I have apples at the dinner table doesn’t mean I’m razzing you
- Minor drama even before the show started, oy
- FRIDAY : The closer I get to Houston the worse the drivers seem to get
- My GPS was set to ignore toll roads. I forgot I have a TXTag now /facehoof
- DQ down the road from the hotel? AW YEAH
- The hotel seems to have good WiFi, w00t
- A press pass! I feel special
- I liked the little Canterlot Times newspaper thingie
- Except for my badge, I have no pony stuff. I’m always the weirdo at these things
- If your job is to check badges, it might help to take off your sunglasses, dude
- Note to self: You don’t like heights, stay out of the clear elevators
- Furry 101 went well, had a good crowd out!
- Maybe a little too well, I blasted through my material in 30 min
- I kinda don’t want to go anywhere and lose my AWESOMELY CLOSE PARKING SPOT
- It’s a little strange how formal dances have become a thing at cons now.
- Thing I said in the elevator: “Yes, I’m here for the cartoon thing”
- SATURDAY : The day to day schedule thing isn’t that great if you’re a panelist.
- HOUSTON HAS WAFFLE HOUSE YES
- There’s a charity? Need to work on that advertising, guys!
- Sombrero covered with foil; what Mexican conspiracy theorists wear.
- Except for the whole ‘dudes carrying plush ponies’ thing this isn’t THAT weird.
- Thing I forgot: Writing panel handouts. Thank you business center!
- It wasn’t into today that I realized I should probably turn off my YOU’VE GOT *ING MAIL message sound. Oops
- A friend was all GET ME SOMETHING WITH THIS PONY ON IT, and I had to look up what she looked like.
- I have to say, the hotel is in a really good spot, plenty of places to eat around and even some within walking distance.
- Wore my red Wreck-It Ralph short on Saturday and realized if I let my hair grow out I’ll kinda look like the Steven Universe kid. YAY LAZY COSPLAY IDEA
- Not sure how I feel about the whole ‘paid lesson panel’ thing
- Saw another panelist who stood still in front of the audience and droned on and on. Yeah, I think I’m Doing It Right
- Selling is always a crapshoot, Thom Zahler didn’t have any copies of Love and Capes on him, guess I’ll check it out online! Long Distance was very charming, be interesting to see where it goes.
- I am a mite disappointed in the hotel, the early check in thingie in their app didn’t work and I put my ‘do not clean’ sign up at night and they did it anyway.
- Someone I may or may not have known in college recognized me. Whoa.
- E-book panel went well, too, I think I’m getting the hang of this!
- Question during panel: “Was DashCon or Sonic Con worse?” Me: “SonicCon…At least people went to DashCon.”
- Apparently my OC “Big Words” made everyone think of George W Bush…D’OH
- One elevator broke down, wasn’t too big of a deal, though
- Got a letter from a Derpy cosplayer addressed to ‘Someone Special’. ITS SO CUTE I DON’T WANT TO OPEN IT
- A musician got their tail in a knot because there were DJs in a musician panel. Oy.
- No conbooks, a bit odd considering all the art/fiction this fandom produces.
- If the point of the speakers in the flowers were to annoy the bleep put of me, Fission Mucking Accomplished, hotel.
- SUNDAY : Found a button on Friday and turned it in to lost and found on Sunday, I didn’t want it to become my “tell tale tie”
- I didn’t think AJ was going to remember the ‘No Fun Zone” thing he mentioned in our podcast, but there it was!
- Note to self: Always take pictures of cosplayers because likely YOU WILL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN even if it is a small con.
- I didn’t want to leave early Sunday, but life had other plans. Stupid life.
- Almost made it all the way home on the same tank of gas, thank you Honda CR-V!
RANDOM REVIEW: 2012
2012 was an interesting year for me. I got into my first car accident, purchased a new vehicle, and started going camping again. Needless to say, ‘interesting’ doesn’t always mean ‘good.’
After a year of experimenting with e-publishing my first e-book: “One Sheet Stories.” I finally completed “The Rules of Tech Support.” It has been doing fairly well. I have also published “Seven Super-Short Sci-Fi Stories” and “Con Fluff 1” since then, so things are coming along nicely on the writing front. Curiously enough, I am now moving from the digital realm to the physical one: 2013 will see me showing up at conventions to sell paper copies of my books and hand out business cards and flyers to get the word out about my writing. In all honesty, I’m looking forward to going out and talking to people, pressing some flesh, and then reaching for the hand sanitizer. 🙂
In February, I went to Furry Fiesta to see what the whole ‘furry’ thing was about. There, I discovered a bunch of cool creative people and decided to venture further down the rabbit hole (ba-doom, tissh) when I got back. I went to some local meets, made some friends, and even went to a second furcon, Oklacon, in October. While Oklacon wasn’t quite as knock-my-socks-off as Furry Fiesta was, I still had a good time. In addition, furry conventions have provided me with a plethora of themes to write for, culminating in my first furry e-book: “Con Fluff.”
Somewhere around August, I got the feeling that my ‘side projects’ were getting in the way of my own. Being the drummer in a band, the editor for a video game website and helping out with a new convention that was starting up in town was just taking up too much of my time, so I quit everything. Indeed, as the last few hours of 2012 tick away and 2013 approaches, I am now just a writer of stories, podcasts and blogs.
I’m looking forward to 2013, it should be a fun year full of conventions, stories, new people to meet and of course, furries!
Happy New Year, y’all!
Some of my favorite posts from 2012:
“You don’t bring a knife to a gunfight, and you don’t bring human art to a furry con.”
“This reminds me of an episode of My Little Pony!”
“There’s just something about seeing your name on paper.”
“I think Dust has restored some of my faith in gaming.”
“I know darn well there’s no signal, but I keep checking my phone. I may have a problem.”
This one is from Dec. 2011, but its too good to not revist: ‘and then came the fishnets’