#13 It’s YUUUGE!
The tenth San Japan came and went like a lion. I had three panels to do and my compatriot WolfBoy had furry things to do. As always, I noticed a few things…
- BEFORE-Okay San Japan people, I’ll do a third panel I’ve never done before and have to prepare in three days because you asked so nicely. Just spell my name right in the schedule this time, mmmkay?
- Time to retire my 2009 iMac from recording duties, it derped out on me when recording the pre-game podcast and ate some audio >.<
- I asked a friend if he was going to San Japan and he said he was more of an ‘indie rock’ guy versus ‘arena rock’ so I had to try to convince him that San Japan wasn’t just another ‘autograph-con’
- Holy cats, did we get salty during the pre-game podcast.
- I’ll be wearing my smartwatch for the first time since I got laid off because I HAVE IMPORTANT ANIME CON THINGS TO DO.
- I also won’t be wearing my rings. I’ve lost enough weight to where they’re starting to slip off my fingers now; a good problem to have.
- PROTIP: You can read the Chili’s lunch special menu through the window if you want to be weird
- Walking through the mall, WolfBoy and I decided to stop and take a seat…in front of the Victoria’s Secret. YEAH, NOT CREEPY AT ALL
- It says something that I can get 12 Streetpasses in my hotel room on Thursday night
- I finally remembered my Nintendo 3DS this time!
- As I get the presentation together for the third panel, I’m really looking forward to putting it on!
- Seems folks are taking a bit longer than usual to get set up, either that or were just really early
- I asked for a bigger panel room and I got it…boy, did I get it 0_0
- THURSDAY NIGHT-530pm No Japanese arcade machines set up. WolfBoy: “WORST CON EVAR!”
1000pm Initial D cabinet set up. WolfBoy: “BEST CON EVAR!”
- Idiots asking “Is San Japan not happening because of Hurricane Harvey or gas shortages?” should be charged double for their badges.
- Concerning: Nobody was watching the entrances Thursday night
- Also concerning: The way too wide open aisles behind the artists with nothing to keep people from walking down them. Hope there aren’t any thefts.
- At the risk of sounding like a shill, Verizon service has been pretty awesomesauce. A little slow at times, but ‘slow’ is better than ‘none.’
#17 Maybe too much space, guys?
- FRIDAY-First the signs weren’t big enough, and now they aren’t spelled right. This is why Dave is already grey, people!
- Charger box things at the Henry B are almost a good idea, the flaw is that most folks can’t bear to be away from their phones
- Dear Guidebook: If I only have one event downloaded PLEASE OPEN THE FREAKING EVENT WHEN I LAUNCH THE APP, K?
- Also: TOO MANY SCHEDULE FILTER OPTIONS
- Artist friends: Don’t just say “I’m in artist alley, find me.” There are over 100 artists. I NEED DETAILS!
- Sure, WolfBoy, it’s only 90 degrees outside and you’re wearing a partial fursuit with a dark business suit LETS GO
- Always adorable to see little girls taking pictures with Wonder Woman cosplayers
- Not sure why, but they kicked up the difficulty on the Time Pilot game in the game room. I spent longer than usual getting the high score.
- Got inadvertently put to work in Registration directing traffic for ten minutes. JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT THEY PULL ME BACK IN
- Almost lost my badge before Furry 101, yipes!
- As I saw people walk away from the convention center for dinner, I had a feeling attendance was going to be down for Furry 101.
- Dear former coworker: If I didn’t want to talk to you at work, what makes you think I’m going to want to talk to you outside of work?
- I apparently can’t give a panel if I can’t read my presentation, the rear projection screens at Furry 101 completely threw me off >.<
- Just as well, I don’t like presenting while standing over people on a stage.
- We had 150-200 people at the panel, I guess that justifies the biggest room at the con. 😛
- Annoying thing: People that use Q&A time to make dumb jokes. Get a life.
#58 Batteries not required!
- REALLY annoying thing: People that try to answer questions during the Q&A part of my panel. GET YOUR OWN PANEL
- The A/V guy was very complimentary after Furry 101, though. Thanks man!
- The only time I get a ton of steps is at cons and after 20,000 today, my dogs were barking.
- By ‘dogs’ I mean feet, not like actual dogs or furry costumed dogs.
- SATURDAY-When you’re up at 6am on Saturday morning, you’re up, what can I say
- If you aren’t willing to make your own waffle at the hotel breakfast, YOU DON’T WANT IT BAD ENOUGH.
- There is another event happening at the Henry B, which answers the question of why there was a higher-than usual number of older Mexican women around downtown San Antonio in the morning.
- Weirdest thing I’ve heard so far: “Dad, doesn’t she have nice boobs?”
- There seem to be quite a few empty tables even in the Dealer’s room; an effect of Harvey, perhaps?
- The number of people donating blood is pretty awesome
- Peeked in on the panel that took my spot from the beta schedule and they had just as many people as I had the night before…maybe less.
- To be fair, they’re a major sponsor and I’m just a guy with a microphone, an attitude, and weird friends.
- I kinda want a Steven Universe T-shirt (think I got a little resemblance to Steven there) but I kinda don’t want to pay thirt bucks for one
- To the harpy working A/V before my audio panel: If you don’t want attitude thrown back at you, don’t fire first. I’ve done tech support too, but I treated my people and customers with respect until they gave me a reason not to.
- “Really Basic Auido Recording” was easily the worst panel I’ve done in a while; next time I’ll just say no…or hold another ‘hide Dave for an hour podcast’ panel.
- That said, the few people that did hang around had really good questions!
- Bad idea: Dragging a boom mic (and it’s heavy base) to the panel. I think I’ll use a Rock Band mic next time to make a point.
- Heard an ambulance and thought ‘Oh boy, it’s a party now,’ but it didn’t stop at the con
- SUNDAY-Other artist booths : Out to lunch Friend’s booth: Out Fursuiting
#19 Someone needs to be fyred
- To the people playing Bee Gees and Michael Jackson on their Bluetooth speakers: THANK YOU FOR PLAYING GOOD MUSIC
- That said, can we just ban those damn things from cons already?
- Had to defend my honor by retaking the top spot on the Time Pilot game (see #26). I doubled the score that had topped mine. BEAT THAT, AAA!
- Parking lot guy: “Twenty bucks”
I parked at the city lot across from the Hyatt for $11 so NEENER NEENER PARKING LOT GUY
- Old hotness: Mind-reading robot cat ears
New hotness: Ballcaps with words
- Thing to remember for next year: Fursuit straws!
- I think I’m finally over being weirded out by crossplay…mostly.
- Funniest question of the weekend: “Are you a Mawg?”
- E-book panel went awesomely; lots of people with good questions and I had JUST enough handouts!
- Two out of three good panels ain’t bad!
- Highly disappointed in the other ‘How to publish books’ panel; I spent 25 minutes hearing the guest blab on about herself and walked out. I think I had a bigger audience, too.
- I’m going to be that old guy (because I am) and mention that too many products and displays in Artist Alley/Dealer Room had swear words on them. There seemed to be less nudity than in years past, though
- AFTER- Might be time to retire my digital camera, too many ‘ghost spots’ >.<
- Step count: Thursday 19627, Friday 20797, Saturday 23268, Sunday 14284 I swear cons are the only place I get a lot of exercise, I should go to more!
Furry Siesta is a summer event held by the happy shiny fuzzy people that host Furry Fiesta; it offers an opportunity for furry fun in the middle of the insanely hot Texas summer. I have always wanted to go but kept missing the opportunity until this year.
- This isn’t a con, but I’m going to blab about it anyway.
- This will be my last nerd thing before my
forced vacation layoff on the 18th.
- Pre-game podcast turned into Furry Crossfire, one for, one against, and me in the middle.
- Since this is the summer and it’s hot as balls, it’s a lot easier to pack for than Furry Fiesta.
- Going to hit up The National Videogame Museum in Frisco, they’re supposed to have an 80’s arcade, looking forward to seeing how authentic it is.
- Nearly forgot to post my Fursuit Friday picture on Twitter, luckily my passengers were running late.
- Of course they showed up just after I typed that.
- Drive up wasn’t bad, typical downtown Dallas traffic notwithstanding.
- The National Videogame Museum is awesome! They have loads of cool stuff to look at, the arcade is legit, and they even have their own tokens! I kept one and got a T-shirt.
- Left a high score on their Mappy machine BECAUSE FURRIES.
- Some guy at Hooters left their H3 window open in the rain and didn’t realize it until WAY too late despite the waitresses asking if it was his vehicle. D’oh!
- Holy cats, getting around the DFW Airport was bonkers.
- We’re sharing the hotel with a Freemasons gathering, this should be fun.
- I love it when my hotel room has a refrigerator, time for a trip to the store for soda!
- Printed out my preregistration only to discover that it wasn’t necessary. PLANET KILLERS!
- Furry Siesta is exactly what it says on the tin: A furmeet in a big hotel room.
- The Hyatt Regency DFW seems to be embracing the fun.
- Maybe not too much, though, there is no signage to be found in the lobby.
- No mention of Siesta on the schedule boards, either, so disregard #17 after all.
- There were dog bowls put under the water coolers spigots as spill guards. What I want to know is: Did they already have dog bowls and why?
- Megaplex was also taking place the same weekend, leading some folks to refer to Siesta as: “I can’t afford to go to Megaplex”-con.
- Put all relevant info on the website, guys. I know updating it is a pain, but not everyone uses social media or has access to it during your event.
- Portable Bluetooth speakers, how I hate you. I have bad taste in music too, but I keep it to myself.
- Overall, it was a pleasant place to hang out, though a few more tables might have been nice.
- It also got a little warm in there but not terribly so as I’ve been told happened in years past.
- Note to self: When on the road and you have to choose between “North” and “South” ALWAYS PICK NORTH.
- Dear friends that use the word ‘ghetto’ to describe locations you think are unpleasant: I have now been to a truly ‘ghetto’ place and y’all need to calm the fluff down.
- Wow this hotel is nice, think I’ll plug my lappy into the TV so I can watch a mov…Oh. It doesn’t have a HDMI port. >.<
- I forgot my HDMI cable so it’s just as well.
- I need to stop trying to guess what species people are. Luckily, the
lizard frog was very understanding.
- Wrote down two story outlines on Saturday morning, so the trip is now TOTALLY WORTH IT.
- Found Maskimals at a local Wal-Mart and was disappointed to find they had no brown bear heads…at least not one I’d want to wear.
- Nothing says furries like seeing “Disney mixes” on the music schedule.
- Except for a few fuzzies on the dance floor, the party was over at 830…in the main room, anyway 😉
- It cost nearly $30 to fill up my CR-V for the trip home. 0_0
- The party came back to life later in the evening, though.
- Can you get PCD if isn’t really a con? Guess we’ll see.
- Sunday morning and the party’s over, not a single fuzzer to be found.
- Waiter at Waffle House sees my San Antonio Spurs hat, proceeds to say “I used to live there and I hate San Antonio.” Way to endear yourself to your customers.
- Given that he screwed up our (and other folks’) orders, didn’t ask if I wanted cream, didn’t refill my coffee, screwed up our checks, and pretty much sucked at his job, DFW can have him.
- If you are wearing a fursuit maker’s shirt be sure to have a prepared answer for the inevitable “what is that?” question.
- Stopped at the Buc-ee’s near Temple on the way down, and it was NUTS.
- Fursuit tails apparently make good travelling pillows.
- WE WENT TO YOUR THINGS DALLAS FURS, NOW YOU HAVE TO COME TO OURS! That’s Alamo City Furry Invasion on October 6-8 at the El Tropicano Hotel in San Antonio! See you there!
Wild Nights 2017 took place a few weekends ago, and I had a great time there with friends. We also took a stop at the Choctaw Casino Resort – Durant on the way home. Let it ride!
- PREP/THURSDAY Taking a 14″ grill along, which is adding a layer of ‘fun’ to prepping for the trip
- Not having many Con Talk listeners means I’m not too worried about a resident of Wilburton, Oklahoma hearing me and WolfBoy talk noise about their town.
- Always have to make one last trip to the store!
- Good idea: Use Telegram to communicate. Bad idea: Virtually no cell service at convention.
- Leaving my rings at home. Not wearing them only bothers me when I walk out of the restroom.
- Thing I left at home: condiments and tortillas >.<
- When they say chicken strip dinner at Braum’s, they ain’t joking!
- What’s with the pudding cup, though?
- Picked up tortillas and BBQ sauce at the Waxahachie HEB, crisis averted!
- We drove 400+ miles across Texas to eat at Pizza Hut in Oklahoma on Thursday night. 😀
- Gas lantern providing light. AM/FM radio providing weather and entertainment. Hooray for old technology!
- Super-bright LED lanterns should come with deflectors.
- If you’re setting up a tent at 1AM with a super-bright LED lantern, you suck.
- FRIDAY I’m genuinely a little disappointed that I can get a cell signal out here, but that’s what airplane mode is for.
- It’s driving me nuts that I get notifications on my phone, but I can’t actually SEE the thing I’m being notified about.
- Glad to get snapshots of a few fursuiters…a shame my friend whose fursuit fan I fixed wasn’t one of them.
- The criteria for being a guest at a furcon now seems to be: Be somewhat popular!
- People playing Nintendo Switch in the mess hall…REALLY?
- Hearing hacking and coughing throughout the camp, glad we’re outside
- Electrical cords running into tents make me sad.
- McDonald’s for breakfast on Friday, we’re really roughing it!
- They seem to be a little behind in getting situated, no crafting/panel tents were set up until Friday afternoon.
- We went hiking and everybody stopped when cell service resumed.
- Nothing like BBQ hamburgers for lunch and dinner!
- Fancy people have to melt the chocolate and the marshmallow for fancy s’mores.
- Maybe too fancy: I don’t think graham crackers should have grill marks.
- WolfBoy does not care how much your beef jerky costs.
- Nothing like being overprepared for the storm Friday night.
- The campfire area was closed off on Friday night. Aw.
- On the plus side: NO MIDNIGHT AWOO.
#31: Storm’s a-brewin’
- SATURDAY Storm didn’t come until early today, but we were ready for it!
- There is a special place in hell for people that have a crowing rooster as their alarm…and abandon their phones
- We don’t care for quiche so it was off to Mickey D’s again.
- Are there really that many people wanting quiche and crepes for breakfast at a camping trip??
- PROTIP: If you haven’t figured this out already about Wild Nights: Bring food.
- I’d forgotten how polite small town grocery store people can be. NO, I DON’T NEED HELP WITH…oh
- My hometown doesn’t even have a grocery store anymore, so yeah.
- I ran a stop light in town. Sorry.
- “Your poncho is pink.” “It was red when it was folded up.”
- Not to be mean to the artists, but once the rain starts, maybe rearrange the tables so people can sit in the mess hall and eat
- Random conversation I could have done without: “What is your name?” “Eduardo Soliz.” *long pause* “WHY?” “You look like some Asian guy.” HUH?
- Nothing says ‘oblivious to my surroundings’ quite like people blocking the whole sidewalk that is SURROUNDED BY MUD. MOVE IT.
- LOL at the weather radio saying ‘Arkansaa.’
- Waiting in the bathroom for the storm to pass.
- About to storm like crazy but DAMMIT WE BOUGHT FAJITAS AND WE ARE GOING TO HAVE FAJITAS.
- And s’mores, of course
- “Okay, guys, here’s the plan to get in the car, we’re going to…” *BOOM* RUN LIKE CRAZY!
- What do you do when the camping con gets rained out? Sleep in a bunkhouse!
- SUNDAY Crap it’s cold. Crap it’s cold. Crap it’s cold.
- I know it annoyed some people, but the 90s car alarm repeatedly going off in the morning was hilarious to me.
- Note to self: Buy a cheap shower head for the small bathroom shower.
- And maybe some soap holders.
- I’m sure you’ve noticed by now that hardly any of this has to do with the con itself.
- PROTIP: Get your heads out of your phones or you might miss something cool like a truck doing a Dukes of Hazzard over a hill in the opposite lane.
- I think they meant to do that.
- The business that gave us the Fudge Cheese Butter sign appears to be no more, aww
- AFTERWARDS/CASINO Funny that ‘Try Everything’ comes on over the PA as we’re entering the casino. THEY KNOW.
- I had to at least try the slots that had bears on them…no better luck, though.
- We had to eat ‘Krispy Krunchy Chicken’ after seeing the name. Tasty!
#61 Not-so-sore loser
- Parrot Beach Bar and Grill at the Choctaw Casino Resort was good, shame it’s going to become Just Another Mexican Restaurant in a month or so.
- No luck at the casino, guess it’s back to work on Tuesday.
- If you’re dropping money into the slots at 9AM you might need help.
- Yes, that includes me.
- I wonder which table at breakfast is ours…OH, it’s the one with the T-Rex hand puppet.
- When you have a hand puppet on your table, some rando will inevitably ask why it is there.
- After the fact, I have a box of hot cocoa and two things of Jiffy Pop left. Stupid weather.
- While the con itself wasn’t much to speak of, we had a great time!
Another year, another Texas Furry Fiesta. As much as I like San Japan, TFF is my favorite convention bar none. Sadly, this is the last year in the Dallas InterContinental, but it went out with a bang!
If a guy with bear ears took your picutre, check it out on my Facebook or Flickr!
- BEFORE-I wanted to start this list two weeks before the show, but that would have been a bit much. Two days it is, then.
- I put more effort into picking T-shirts for conventions than I do into dressing for my job
- The same goes for shaving: I’ll regularly have a 5 o’clock shadow at work but usually shave whenever I’m going to be with friends.
- Had to resist the urge to put “Skills: Striking fear into the hearts of men” on my volunteer application.
- Should have mentioned my ‘command voice,’ though.
- Seeing Facebook keep going ‘REMEMBER ALL THE FUN YOU WERE HAVING 2/3/4 YEARS AGO’ these last few weeks has been maddening
- Went over last year’s list that I apparently DID start two weeks prior, guess I’m getting more patient as I get older.
- Planning on using my point-and-shoot for pictures instead of my iPhone, too many dark pictures last year.
- Still using my iPad mini to record the parade, though, just need free up lots of memory beforehand!
- Sing just came out on video, I wonder if there will be anyone cosplaying? (there wasn’t that I could tell anyway)
- Bluetooth speakers at cons SUCK. I have bad taste in music too, but I keep it to myself.
- Lucky for me Riverdale is not showing this week. I don’t mind waiting for the next Powerless, BUT I MUST KNOW WHO KILLED JASON BLOSSOM
- THURSDAY-Passenger: You better be ready to go at 9. Me at 930 on Thursday: Still waiting for him
- I pity people that have been to Whataburger without having a Breakfast on a Bun. THAT’S NO WAY TO LIVE
- Siri turned my friend’s last name into ‘Command’ so that is his last name now
- Took a shortcut down some caliche roads to bypass a big accident on I-35 North.
- Yeah maybe I shouldn’t have washed he car yesterday
- Made it past the accident okay, though!
- Not liking Braums is a crime, apparently
- Thursday and the hotel parking lot is already full, oh boy
- Friend as we’re going to the room: “This hallway smells like B.O.”
#25: Come here often?
- Funny that I’m going to spend part of my vacation working (as a volunteer) yet I don’t mind
- Volunteering: Started off helping unload some stuff, kinda wish I’d showed up earlier to help more.
- Furst World Problem: Being swatted by someone’s tail.
- Volunteering: It was fun helping at Kempi’s, I am going to totally miss the Disco Dungeon!
- Weird moment (for me, anyway) “Didn’t that guy have the prettiest eyes?” “Sorry, but I’m straight.”
- I ended up splitting a room in a single instead of a double, we used a pillow as the ‘border.’
- FRIDAY-Surprised at how unorganized the volunteering seems to be early on, (it got better)
- Idea (that may not work): E-mail verified volunteers blanks of the tracking sheets.
- Volunteering: Spent a couple hours in the con suite playing barkeep at the snack bar some more in the morning
- Mary Mouse is just too busy, I need my Certified badge!
- The panelist didn’t show up to the first panel I went to…I have yet to miss one of mine…just sayin’
- These guys really need to purchase a legit scheduling app. The ‘purchase’ part means it likely won’t happen, though
- Kept getting asked: “Are you doing a panel?” I think it’s safe to say me doing panels is a thing now.
- My apologies to my friends when I don’t recognize them in or out of fursuit: I have enough trouble remembering people that only have ONE name and face!
- Decided to belt out Be Prepared at Kempi’s during karaoke and loved it. I kicked into my vocal ‘fifth gear’ that I very seldom use.
- Ten buck special at Boston Market = good eatin’ Going to miss all the close places to eat next year
- Finally figured out to hold my camera by its sides when showing pictures to fursuiters so it doesn’t flip back to camera mode when I’m showing them pictures
- Probably just need to invest in a new camera already.
#31: I’m also certifiable!
- SATURDAY – I want to go to panels but keep bailing on them to have fun with friends!
- Or getting double-booked and leaving a panel early to go to another one
- If you’re asking for questions fifteen minutes into your panel, you might need more material, but it worked out.
- Having an intro written to start your panel isn’t a Bad Thing per se, but it depends on the type of panel
- Lobby ATM machine barfed on me multiple times throughout he weekend, argh
- Fursuit parade seemed to go quicker this year
- Someone swatted me with their tail! How wude!
- Love to upload the video while I’m here, but the 3.1 GB file ain’t uploading over hotel wifi anytime soon, maybe overnight.
- I’m learning that sitting is weird when you have a tail, even if it is just a nub!
- The pictures from my point and shoot are coming out so much better than the ones from my iPhone last year
- Note to self: Get fursuiter pictures when you have the chance, because that StarFox suiter was way cool, but I missed him!
- I was working, though /shrug
- Volunteering: Checking for badges gets a little weird when people have them on their waist/belt
- Okay, so I’m a prude.
- Bought a voodoo-themed print and now I have the Dr. Facliler song from ‘The Princess and the Frog’ in my head
- SUNDAY-Left my laptop on all night to upload the Fursuit parade video and it worked!
- Likely have to retire my iPad mini after this year, 16GB just ain’t enough!
- It’s always funny being functional at 8AM while the party animals slowly lurch to life
- Walked away from my backpack by accident Guess I need coffee!
- Woofle House to the rescue!
- Not trying very hard to sell anything in Artist’s Alley, which is good because I didn’t *le sigh*
#60: Take my books, please!
- I swear I am the only seller in Artist Alley that is standing up.
- To be fair, they’re all drawing
- And sold more than me 😛
- I gave away three books, so there’s that.
- New rule: No more using my iPad as an attention grabber, people just watch the videos and block the table
- You’re welcome for the name, Kawaii-pool!
- Why are there two kinds of Steak N’ Shakes? The ones where you get seated SUCK sometimes.
- Elevator conversation:
Me: “You draw the fluffiest furries I’ve ever seen!”
Tirrell: “That’s how they’re supposed to look.”
Me: “Right, but nobody draws them like that.”
- None of the pictures I took during Closing Ceremonies came out. Insert joke about Path here.
- When someone brings bubble wrap for pick-up to the art show you know they buy a lot of art 0_0
- Got plenty of exercise helping tear down the Art show, and earned enough time for a free registration next year!
- I had originally planned to stay till Monday, but I have too much adulting to do, so I hit I-35 at 10PM
- It was hard for me to leave ‘early’ though MUST PHOTOGRAPH ALL THE FURSUITERS
- If you are a fursuiter and I didn’t take your picture, I AM SO SORRY
- My friends and I got ‘furtobombed’ by Zig-Zag at the end!
- Didn’t run into any of the storms on the drive home but saw lots of scary lightning!
- Had a scary moment on a patch of flooded construction, too
- Finally got home at 3AM,. I’m tired, but the good kind of tired
- Another great show, and I even helped (a little)!
And one late one:
80. At least we only have 11 months to wait until TFF 2018!
San Japan (totally not Cyborg) 009 happened last weekend. Amidst the new venue and new date, I noticed some things. If I took your picture (I was the dude with bear ears, see below) you can find it here!
#16: You are…somewhere?
THURSDAY NIGHT – Went in the old entrance of the Gonzalez Convention Center out of habit…oops
- New space is YUUUGE
- My fursuiter friends are already complaining about all the walking they’re going to be doing over the weekend.
- Artist alley is HUMONGOUS
- Dealer’s room is INSANE
- They ARE going to turn on the escalators in the Dealer’s room, right?
- Autograph area setup looks like what I see set up at comic-cons, hmm
- Located in the back corner, milk and eggs and all that
- If Labor Day does take a bite out of attendance, we’ll really see it on Friday, IMO
- Me gusta bigger panel room for Furry 101! About fuzzing time!
- The halls remind me of PAX South Year 1 but with the lights on
- Seriously, the HBG felt like a cavern back then with all the lights turned down
- Spiffy new booths for registration, ooh
Badges are less nice this year, a little more papery. Hope they hold up. Compared them to last year’s badges after the fact and they’re the same.
- Press badges get the same art as volunteer ones? BOO!
- The YUUUGE maps were just a bit confusing.
- Didn’t help that they put teensy ‘You Are Here’ stickers that were near-impossible to find. Maybe some gold stars or Pokeball stickers next time, guys?
- FRIDAY-This is my free day: No panels and my freaks aren’t showing up until late in the afternoon
- Arrived at 11 and easily found parking at the Houston street lot, wonder if that’s a sign
- Random person also walking to San Japan asked if the tin of Altoids rattling in my pocket were dice. OH HELL NO
#28: Overestimate much?
- Walked into the Henry B. via the main entrance this time. Is niiice!
- Finally found someone pickier than Alvin Von Devious to try and help with their fursuit. Came close to (metaphorically) flipping the table.
- Customer service tip: Just answer my question without the lame jokes, please.
- So who gets to be the under/sideboob/cheek checker?
- Escalators in the dealer’s room are shut off, no bueno.
- One dealer’s display had ALL THE BOOBS.
- But that’s okay because they’re just cartoons…right?
- “History of Anime in the US” got the biggest panel room and about 50 people showed up. Yes, I counted.
- Good panel, but come on, I had that many the first time I did Furry 101 three years ago at RealmsCon.
- Do they even check to see how many people actually show up at panels? Seriously.
- I kept waiting to hear one word at History of Anime but it never turned up: “Japanimation” That’s what we called it in the 80’s, kids!
- Friend and I did our good deed for the day getting a friend out of a jam.
- It took me a half hour but I had to claim the top spot on the Time Pilot game in the game room. EDS is on top where it belongs. *flex*
- Somehow I got pegged as the guy ‘running’ the furry meetup and some folks freaked when I showed up late. THAT’S NOT HOW THIS WORKS, GUYS
- SATURDAY-Easy parking on Houston St again, which has me slightly worried
- Saw displays made out of free Priority Mail boxes in the dealer’s room. Classy.
#26: Under….side…ALL THE BOOBS
- Only the first 100 people get an autograph? Interesting.
- “It is up to the artist whether 101+ get an autograph” There has to be a better way to say that without making the artist look like a complete tool.
- The Taito Groove Coaster video game calls the Space Invaders alien a ‘crab’ IT’S AN ALIEN GUYS
- I keep thinking ‘Spock ears’ whenever I see pointy ears
- An anime con is one of the few places where you can lose a fursuiter
- Need to mark the lanes in Artist Alley, which one is ‘Row 5’ again?
- Arrived too late to the Bitforce concert to take advantage of my press badge, pbbt
- Wonder if they had technical problems; we could see the lead guitarist was shredding his fingers off but could barely hear him. Otherwise, good show!
- Except for the game room, the air conditioning seems to be holding up well.
- Good thing too, because I was soaking after the occasional three-block walk to my car.
- The paleta man is back, woo!
#47: Hello, old friend!
- Nearly filled up our medium-sized panel room for Furry 101, w00t.
- 45 minute time limit threw me off, though, may have to reorganize things for next time.
- I only have two cosplays (Professor Utonium and Soos). I didn’t wear either, and saw the perfect people to take pictures with (The Powerpuff Girls and Giffany)! ARGH
- 18+ maid cafe was fun!
- Tipsy elevator normies were…interesting.
- Tipsy normie asked: “WHY YOU WEARING MOUSE EARS?” I’m not going to debate with someone holding a drink in public, they won’t remember anyway.
- SUNDAY-Less parking at the lot, but still no problem finding a spot; be interesting to see the attendance this year (It was down 12%)
- Been seeing a lot of ‘robot guts’ shirts around, guess they’re a hit.
- Hey panel door guy, the door opens when I say so, capisce?
- Noticed a lot of Judy Hopps cosplayers, bunny ears, Nick Wildes, and even an Assistant Mayor Bellweather. YAY ZOOTOPIA!
- Overwatch was also popular. I don’t even play the game, but for my friends it’s always HIIIGH NOOOON.
- Left early because the show just isn’t as fun without my friends!
- Mizuumi-Con is now “Otaku Fair” That’s good.
- Otaku Fair decided to not make any further announcements about their new event at THE BIGGEST EVENT IN THE CITY FOR POTENTIAL ATTENDEES. That’s not good.
- Observation: Labor Day weekend works great for older folks like myself. For the youngn’s, though, not so much.
Instead of my usual ‘things I noticed’ list, I’m going to take a different approach with this post-convention blog post. At every convention, I see lots of neat artwork from independent artists. Sometimes there are independent game studios showing their wares, and they will often have some pretty cool demos to check out.
This past weekend I attended HavenCon in Austin, Texas. HavenCon bills itself as “the first geek and gaming convention in Texas to focus on the LGBTQIA and Ally communities,” and indeed there was a variety of things to see and do.
So without any further ado:
I purchased some nice X Files-themed prints from Megan Kluck featuring artwork similar to this. Her art can be found at tasteslikekeys.tumblr.com
This print from Robby Cook will be hanging in my home soon. His wonderful artwork and mash-ups can be found at robbycook.com
I bought a zine from Bis Thornton (bisthebox.com) and E. S. Mahoney named “Singularity: Contraption” that contained some neat stories about robotics.
“Redemption,” a comic written and drawn by Veronica Kathryn, is the story of a girl who’s trying to make up for the fact that she ENDED THE WORLD. Oops. It can be read at redemption.smackjeeves.com and her artwork can be found at bobo-kitty.deviantart.com
There were a few indie game developers there with some neat games, such as Black Ice, a funky Tron-inspired first person shooter with RPG elements by Garrett Cooper. Finji knocked my socks off with a turn-based survival game called Overland, which is currently in development.
I had an enjoyable weekend at HavenCon, made even more so by these folks and their wonderful work! I hope you check them out, and thanks for reading!