NOTE: While looking through my drafts, I found this list. I have no idea why I didn’t post it back then. Better late than never, I guess!
If a guy wearing bear ears took your picture, it might be here!
San Antonio’s first furry convention, Alamo City Furry Invasion, took place this past weekend. Many locals (including myself) were excited to have a furry convention in our hometown and I noticed a few things during the furry fun:
BEFORE-Sorry guys, but ‘Alamo City Furry Invasion’ as a name is too long, I’ve just been calling it ‘Furry Invasion.’
- RealmsCon also happened over the same weekend, so I have another reason to not go there.
- Thing we forgot to mention on the pre-game podcast: Parking around the con itself is going to be ‘fun’ especially for those of us not getting a hotel room.
- There was some confusion about the availability of a projector. We were told to reserve the one projector they had, which was odd considering I checked a box that said ‘I need a projector’ when submitting my panel.
- I made arrangements to have one just in case.
- Day before the con and we don’t have an online map
- There have been a few complaints beforehand about the potential parking costs, oh well.
- Took a walk around the hotel Thursday afternoon and it was plenty warm, which doesn’t bode well for our fursuiters.
- Surprised they aren’t doing a ‘print out your email’ thing for pre-registrations, hope that doesn’t slow down registration.
- FRIDAY-Pleasant surprise: Free parking for hotel guests while it was available. I fed the meter.
- I had to make jokes about “Don’t let your meter expire or Judy Hopps will pay you a visit!”
- I see the hotel and Barry Manilow’s ‘Copacabana’ pops in my head.
- As always, the guy with the Bluetooth speaker has to have crappy taste in music. I swear it’s a physical law at this point.
- Got into the reg line at 3:38 and waited for 45 minutes, pbbt
- The ‘WE’RE SORRY’ guy in the reg line finally got on my nerves and I had to open a can of manager on him.
- Fire alarm lights go off at 541 on Friday, oh boy.
- Little Kid: “Pokémon!” Dad: “I don’t think those are Pokémon…”
- Just a little sadface over not getting a personalized dog tag…does that make me weird?
- The comic book was a lame substitute, and it’s not good to see staff members with tags
- No furry Westerns for movie night? Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron? An American Tail: Fivel Goes West?
- If I’d have realized there were going to be so many people there on Friday, I would have shaved!
- SATURDAY-Up bright and early so I can shave (see above) and get a parking spot (see #3)
- There were plenty of parking spots with meters around the hotel and even some $1-$2 parking a block away.
- You still have to feed the meter on Saturday? LAME
- Downloadable PDF format for the schedule would have been nice
- Oh wait, the online schedule is different than the printed one, uh-oh.
- That is, assuming you can read it, looks like they used they used 4-point font.
- Nice job of giving credit where credit is due at opening ceremonies
- For fuzzing sake, can we keep fetish gear out of furcons already?
Stop popping your heads and breaking the magic, people!
- They definitely dropped the ball on the schedule. What is most surprising to me is either the staff didn’t notice or they chose to not do anything about it. No bueno.
- How to handle major screw-ups: 1-Apologize. 2-Take no more than two sentences to say what went wrong. 3-Tell us how YOU ARE GOING TO FIX IT.
- I mention the previous item because I heard the same ‘printer guy screwed up the schedule’ story way too many fuzzing times. WE DON’T CARE WHAT WENT WRONG JUST FIX IT.
- Regardless, I got by with a little (okay, a lot) of help from my friends for Furry 101.
- A bunch of quiet people attended Furry 101, there were no questions for me at the end!
- Some parents were there too, and were very complimentary after the fact.
- OMG all the Amber Alerts
- Seems I forgot to turn off the Amber Alerts on my new phone, too. DERP
- Guillermo’s Italian restaurant near the hotel was delicious.
- Had to do karaoke to finally get Copacabana out of my head.
- Forgot about the 20-bar instrumental break in the middle, should have found a dance partner.
- Going to be hard to not wear my Dallas Cowboys jersey on Sunday. GET IT? COWBOYS? 😀
- I wasn’t even aware of the food trucks, need to work on communication, there. Maybe a bulletin board?
- Bedbugs, tire slashing and threats? It’s a party now.
- I won’t lie, my eyes got a little misty when one guy did ‘Free Fallin’ during karaoke. God Bless Tom Petty.
- SUNDAY-To the person who glomped another fursuiter: YOU SUCK
- Apparently fursuiters weren’t happy with the fursuit lounge closing at night. Even by my cranky middle-aged standards, 10 o’clock is WAY too early.
- Another furry watching football? SAY IT AIN’T SO!
- If you’re still telling Tony Romo jokes now, stop talking about football. Just. Stop.
- Had my panel cancelled on Sunday because I was feeling way
oo hungry that afternoon…and they scheduled it opposite closing ceremonies.
- 737 attendees, wow!
- IMO attendance would have been higher but for RealmsCon being the same weekend in Corpus Christi and some folks in Houston are likely still recovering from the hurricane.
- I should probably get a room next year so I’m not dragging my tail home in the middle of the night.
- Overall, it was good but y’all really need to fix that scheduling, guys!
Texas’ biggest furry convention moved to a new hotel this year, which introduced a few new issues. Overall, though, it was a lot of fun. As always, I noticed a few things:
- BEFORE/DRIVE UP-I’m a little bummed over missing the conbook deadline but that’s what my website is for.
#31 PUT SOME CLOTHES ON YOUNG LADY
- I’m guessing I’m going to see a lot of Alices and Mad Hatters. Hopefully, the cartoon versions.
- Seriously, I thought the 2010 version was ‘The Mad Hatter Movie”
- I will openly admit to being jealous of all my friends that will be there on Thursday
- I swear work gets tougher the last few days before a vacation…it’s like THEY KNOW
- Okay, I wussed out and told my cowokers I was going to a ‘comiccon’
- Does loading Disney soundtracks onto a USB stick for the drive qualify someone as ‘furry trash?’ Asking for a friend.
- Thing I forgot: Cologne. Given the female-to-male ratio it’s just as well!
- I’ve lost about 30 pounds since last TFF. I bought a pair of slim fit jeans so I gotta keep the weight off now!
- Honestly, I-35 keeps getting better and better each year…Temple notwithstanding
- The Czech stop was definitely worth the 200-mile wait!
- Parking seems to be one of the big issues early on; I was furtunate to get a spot fairly close by.
- I feel like a tourist lugging my bags around the hotel before check-in.
- It wasn’t too long before I started running into friends, YAY FRIENDS!
- I had forgotten about the placeholder name I had placed on the reservation beforehand, which made for a funny moment: “So that will be two keys: One for you, and another for Roger Rabbit?”
- “Can I get the lowest room available? I have a thing with heights.”
- New hotel is very nice, though the open elevators are a little scary for me. (see above)
- FRIDAY-Noticed a few folks kvetching about the lack of con suite this year. Hopefully they bring the snacks back because playing ‘bartender’ there was great fun.
- The Presidential Suite is open to Super-Sponsors, though.
- Forgot to print out my reg sheet for the first time ever. *hangs head in shame*
- Their reg was so fast it didn’t matter.
- The Hyatt Regency feels so wide open compared to the other hotels.
- Taking five fights of stairs to the room (if I don’t want to wait for the elevator) is definitely a workout
- The hotel room has an Ethernet port, and me without a cable *argh*
#28: It’s Furry Pat!
- New camera has been great, but the battery went dry after only 75 pictures! So glad I got a spare…that I had to retrieve from my room. *pant* *gasp* *wheeze*
- It’s awesome that the con T-shirts aren’t black this year.
- I’m usually pretty careful about catching autocorrects before I hit Send, but finally had one slip through the net 😀
- There’s a fursuiter named Sherbert who has you try to guess their gender. I went with ‘male’ because if I can’t figure someone’s gender in 3 seconds at a con, I just assume it’s a guy.
- I am seriously considering buying a Lemonbrat partial fursuit.
- Overall, the bigger hotel is pretty nice with plenty of space to work with BUT the elevator situation is pretty bad and it is a (understandably) a mite warm inside.
- That moment when you realize the fursuiter you’ve seen in a partial for months now has a fullsuit which means SHE’S NAKED NOW OMG
- It’s 6pm, send in the normies!
- There are places to eat downtown if you don’t mind a little walk. Cool.
- Elevator situation is pretty awful, I wonder if the top-floor con suite is a contributing factor.
- Random young lady: “Are you Eduardo Soliz?”
Me: “The one and only!” *peers at person* “Do I know you?”
Her: “No but I love your YouTube channel!”
UPDATE: Found her on Twitter!
- Maybe I’m not done with “Con Talk” after all…
- I really really need to get cracking on making some panels for next year’s Furry Fiesta. People want them!
- SATURDAY-630AM and I don’t want to be up, but I guess I’m up, bleh.
- Might be early enough to hit Waffle House without losing my parking, hmm
- Upon further review I decided not to risk losing my spot.
- A little disappointed in the scheduling app; it shows the full schedule without hiding events that have already passed.
- Oh, I have to manually refresh it. Derp.
- Nope, still didn’t do it. Boo.
- For some reason I have Matthew Ebel’s “Merry Christmas from Cell Block 2” in my head
- Are the microphones in the panel rooms even on?
- New addition to the fursuit parade: Concerned parents
- Dunno what the deal was with the peanut gallery continually yelling “Spring Break” during the parade but it was annoying to the point where I might put music over the parade audio. UPDATE: I didn’t.
- Nothing like 40-degree weather to make you want a fursuit.
- Freezing my face off was totally worth it for the Cuban sandwich, though
- If you’re running audio you should be professional enough to know to not talk while a presentation is going on. Fuzzing amateurs
- Another great Furry Psychology talk from Nuka. I was getting a little sleepy near the end, and not because of the content, just to be clear!
- I learned that some of the FurScience folks went to San Japan last year. I invited them to attend “Furry 101” this year. COME ON GUYS, I WENT TO YOUR PANEL AND I DID MY HOMEWORK 😀
- The partial suit I was thinking about buying was sold. Oh well.
- A friend bought Lemonbrat’s ‘Tide Pod Fox’ and got very popular very quickly.
#54 He looks good enough to eat!
- Knees starting to feel it by afternoon, likely due to all the stair-climbing bought on by not wanting to wait for the elevators…or I’m just getting old.
- Halfway down the stairs to go to dinner, I realized I still had my bear tail on. Screw it.
- Nothing like walking 2/3 of a mile to go to Spaghetti Warehouse in 30-degree weather.
- Totally worth it, though. Chicken parm you taste so good.
- I was disappointed to find karaoke was full up; I wanted to sing ‘Why Should I Worry’ by Billy Joel from ‘Oliver and Company.’ The canines would have loved it!
- Nice lobby-wide howl on Saturday night, by the way.
- I wanted to be all supportive and stuff for Padunk’s first panel, but it was completely packed! I guess that was a sign it went well! (link warning: some naughty bits)
- Drunk normies + fursuiters = hilarity
- I swear the ‘Two women: One embarrassingly drunk and the other trying to get them to stop being embarrassing’ bit is a trope.
- SUNDAY/TRIP HOME-Breakfast was weird: After we got seated, the hostess kept fussing over our table being dirty (it wasn’t) The table is fine lady, I WANT FOOD
- Mom never made ‘fingerling potatoes’ for breakfast, just sayin. That said, they were tasty.
- No salsa on the breakfast buffet? What is this, NEW YORK CITY?
- The longer the con goes, the harder it gets to not take multiple pictures of the same fursuiters. Oh well!
- Me to friend: “I was thinking about buying a partial”
Her: “I have a bear head base I haven’t started yet.”
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
- So yeah, I may be getting a fursuit made.
- Left the con at probably the earliest time I’ve ever left. Continually going up and down four flights of stairs took more out of me than I thought.
- To the jackass who parked their Honda CRX in the middle of the end of the parking lot: YOU SUCK.
- I am very glad I only make two trips that involve I-35 a year
- Didn’t stop at Buc-ees on the way home, the Wendy’s across the freeway was too tempting. I may have sinned against Texas.
- Big thank you to the solider who fished a soda out of the machine for me at the Bell rest stop. Enjoy the freebie!
- Note to self: Lay off the caffeine on the day when you are making a long drive unless you want to make restroom stops every 50 miles or so >.<
#71 YOU SUCK
- AFTERWARDS-I will openly admit to being jealous of my friends that are still at the con on Monday.
- I think the reason I don’t get post-con depression is that afterwards I go over pictures, post the fursuit parade video, work on this list, prepare for and record a podcast, so the show isn’t really over for me for several days.
- There is apparently an underground tunnel leading from near Union Station to the hotel. I may consider taking a train ride for next year.
- Remember how I said “Con Talk” was over a few months ago? I was never very good at lying. 😉
- “Roll Fur Initiative” for next year’s theme? I guess Creativity failed her saving throw! Hey, I tried!
Furry Siesta is a summer event held by the happy shiny fuzzy people that host Furry Fiesta; it offers an opportunity for furry fun in the middle of the insanely hot Texas summer. I have always wanted to go but kept missing the opportunity until this year.
- This isn’t a con, but I’m going to blab about it anyway.
- This will be my last nerd thing before my
forced vacation layoff on the 18th.
- Pre-game podcast turned into Furry Crossfire, one for, one against, and me in the middle.
- Since this is the summer and it’s hot as balls, it’s a lot easier to pack for than Furry Fiesta.
- Going to hit up The National Videogame Museum in Frisco, they’re supposed to have an 80’s arcade, looking forward to seeing how authentic it is.
- Nearly forgot to post my Fursuit Friday picture on Twitter, luckily my passengers were running late.
- Of course they showed up just after I typed that.
- Drive up wasn’t bad, typical downtown Dallas traffic notwithstanding.
- The National Videogame Museum is awesome! They have loads of cool stuff to look at, the arcade is legit, and they even have their own tokens! I kept one and got a T-shirt.
- Left a high score on their Mappy machine BECAUSE FURRIES.
- Some guy at Hooters left their H3 window open in the rain and didn’t realize it until WAY too late despite the waitresses asking if it was his vehicle. D’oh!
- Holy cats, getting around the DFW Airport was bonkers.
- We’re sharing the hotel with a Freemasons gathering, this should be fun.
- I love it when my hotel room has a refrigerator, time for a trip to the store for soda!
- Printed out my preregistration only to discover that it wasn’t necessary. PLANET KILLERS!
- Furry Siesta is exactly what it says on the tin: A furmeet in a big hotel room.
- The Hyatt Regency DFW seems to be embracing the fun.
- Maybe not too much, though, there is no signage to be found in the lobby.
- No mention of Siesta on the schedule boards, either, so disregard #17 after all.
- There were dog bowls put under the water coolers spigots as spill guards. What I want to know is: Did they already have dog bowls and why?
- Megaplex was also taking place the same weekend, leading some folks to refer to Siesta as: “I can’t afford to go to Megaplex”-con.
- Put all relevant info on the website, guys. I know updating it is a pain, but not everyone uses social media or has access to it during your event.
- Portable Bluetooth speakers, how I hate you. I have bad taste in music too, but I keep it to myself.
- Overall, it was a pleasant place to hang out, though a few more tables might have been nice.
- It also got a little warm in there but not terribly so as I’ve been told happened in years past.
- Note to self: When on the road and you have to choose between “North” and “South” ALWAYS PICK NORTH.
- Dear friends that use the word ‘ghetto’ to describe locations you think are unpleasant: I have now been to a truly ‘ghetto’ place and y’all need to calm the fluff down.
- Wow this hotel is nice, think I’ll plug my lappy into the TV so I can watch a mov…Oh. It doesn’t have a HDMI port. >.<
- I forgot my HDMI cable so it’s just as well.
- I need to stop trying to guess what species people are. Luckily, the
lizard frog was very understanding.
- Wrote down two story outlines on Saturday morning, so the trip is now TOTALLY WORTH IT.
- Found Maskimals at a local Wal-Mart and was disappointed to find they had no brown bear heads…at least not one I’d want to wear.
- Nothing says furries like seeing “Disney mixes” on the music schedule.
- Except for a few fuzzies on the dance floor, the party was over at 830…in the main room, anyway 😉
- It cost nearly $30 to fill up my CR-V for the trip home. 0_0
- The party came back to life later in the evening, though.
- Can you get PCD if isn’t really a con? Guess we’ll see.
- Sunday morning and the party’s over, not a single fuzzer to be found.
- Waiter at Waffle House sees my San Antonio Spurs hat, proceeds to say “I used to live there and I hate San Antonio.” Way to endear yourself to your customers.
- Given that he screwed up our (and other folks’) orders, didn’t ask if I wanted cream, didn’t refill my coffee, screwed up our checks, and pretty much sucked at his job, DFW can have him.
- If you are wearing a fursuit maker’s shirt be sure to have a prepared answer for the inevitable “what is that?” question.
- Stopped at the Buc-ee’s near Temple on the way down, and it was NUTS.
- Fursuit tails apparently make good travelling pillows.
- WE WENT TO YOUR THINGS DALLAS FURS, NOW YOU HAVE TO COME TO OURS! That’s Alamo City Furry Invasion on October 6-8 at the El Tropicano Hotel in San Antonio! See you there!
Another year, another Texas Furry Fiesta. As much as I like San Japan, TFF is my favorite convention bar none. Sadly, this is the last year in the Dallas InterContinental, but it went out with a bang!
If a guy with bear ears took your picutre, check it out on my Facebook or Flickr!
- BEFORE-I wanted to start this list two weeks before the show, but that would have been a bit much. Two days it is, then.
- I put more effort into picking T-shirts for conventions than I do into dressing for my job
- The same goes for shaving: I’ll regularly have a 5 o’clock shadow at work but usually shave whenever I’m going to be with friends.
- Had to resist the urge to put “Skills: Striking fear into the hearts of men” on my volunteer application.
- Should have mentioned my ‘command voice,’ though.
- Seeing Facebook keep going ‘REMEMBER ALL THE FUN YOU WERE HAVING 2/3/4 YEARS AGO’ these last few weeks has been maddening
- Went over last year’s list that I apparently DID start two weeks prior, guess I’m getting more patient as I get older.
- Planning on using my point-and-shoot for pictures instead of my iPhone, too many dark pictures last year.
- Still using my iPad mini to record the parade, though, just need free up lots of memory beforehand!
- Sing just came out on video, I wonder if there will be anyone cosplaying? (there wasn’t that I could tell anyway)
- Bluetooth speakers at cons SUCK. I have bad taste in music too, but I keep it to myself.
- Lucky for me Riverdale is not showing this week. I don’t mind waiting for the next Powerless, BUT I MUST KNOW WHO KILLED JASON BLOSSOM
- THURSDAY-Passenger: You better be ready to go at 9. Me at 930 on Thursday: Still waiting for him
- I pity people that have been to Whataburger without having a Breakfast on a Bun. THAT’S NO WAY TO LIVE
- Siri turned my friend’s last name into ‘Command’ so that is his last name now
- Took a shortcut down some caliche roads to bypass a big accident on I-35 North.
- Yeah maybe I shouldn’t have washed he car yesterday
- Made it past the accident okay, though!
- Not liking Braums is a crime, apparently
- Thursday and the hotel parking lot is already full, oh boy
- Friend as we’re going to the room: “This hallway smells like B.O.”
#25: Come here often?
- Funny that I’m going to spend part of my vacation working (as a volunteer) yet I don’t mind
- Volunteering: Started off helping unload some stuff, kinda wish I’d showed up earlier to help more.
- Furst World Problem: Being swatted by someone’s tail.
- Volunteering: It was fun helping at Kempi’s, I am going to totally miss the Disco Dungeon!
- Weird moment (for me, anyway) “Didn’t that guy have the prettiest eyes?” “Sorry, but I’m straight.”
- I ended up splitting a room in a single instead of a double, we used a pillow as the ‘border.’
- FRIDAY-Surprised at how unorganized the volunteering seems to be early on, (it got better)
- Idea (that may not work): E-mail verified volunteers blanks of the tracking sheets.
- Volunteering: Spent a couple hours in the con suite playing barkeep at the snack bar some more in the morning
- Mary Mouse is just too busy, I need my Certified badge!
- The panelist didn’t show up to the first panel I went to…I have yet to miss one of mine…just sayin’
- These guys really need to purchase a legit scheduling app. The ‘purchase’ part means it likely won’t happen, though
- Kept getting asked: “Are you doing a panel?” I think it’s safe to say me doing panels is a thing now.
- My apologies to my friends when I don’t recognize them in or out of fursuit: I have enough trouble remembering people that only have ONE name and face!
- Decided to belt out Be Prepared at Kempi’s during karaoke and loved it. I kicked into my vocal ‘fifth gear’ that I very seldom use.
- Ten buck special at Boston Market = good eatin’ Going to miss all the close places to eat next year
- Finally figured out to hold my camera by its sides when showing pictures to fursuiters so it doesn’t flip back to camera mode when I’m showing them pictures
- Probably just need to invest in a new camera already.
#31: I’m also certifiable!
- SATURDAY – I want to go to panels but keep bailing on them to have fun with friends!
- Or getting double-booked and leaving a panel early to go to another one
- If you’re asking for questions fifteen minutes into your panel, you might need more material, but it worked out.
- Having an intro written to start your panel isn’t a Bad Thing per se, but it depends on the type of panel
- Lobby ATM machine barfed on me multiple times throughout he weekend, argh
- Fursuit parade seemed to go quicker this year
- Someone swatted me with their tail! How wude!
- Love to upload the video while I’m here, but the 3.1 GB file ain’t uploading over hotel wifi anytime soon, maybe overnight.
- I’m learning that sitting is weird when you have a tail, even if it is just a nub!
- The pictures from my point and shoot are coming out so much better than the ones from my iPhone last year
- Note to self: Get fursuiter pictures when you have the chance, because that StarFox suiter was way cool, but I missed him!
- I was working, though /shrug
- Volunteering: Checking for badges gets a little weird when people have them on their waist/belt
- Okay, so I’m a prude.
- Bought a voodoo-themed print and now I have the Dr. Facliler song from ‘The Princess and the Frog’ in my head
- SUNDAY-Left my laptop on all night to upload the Fursuit parade video and it worked!
- Likely have to retire my iPad mini after this year, 16GB just ain’t enough!
- It’s always funny being functional at 8AM while the party animals slowly lurch to life
- Walked away from my backpack by accident Guess I need coffee!
- Woofle House to the rescue!
- Not trying very hard to sell anything in Artist’s Alley, which is good because I didn’t *le sigh*
#60: Take my books, please!
- I swear I am the only seller in Artist Alley that is standing up.
- To be fair, they’re all drawing
- And sold more than me 😛
- I gave away three books, so there’s that.
- New rule: No more using my iPad as an attention grabber, people just watch the videos and block the table
- You’re welcome for the name, Kawaii-pool!
- Why are there two kinds of Steak N’ Shakes? The ones where you get seated SUCK sometimes.
- Elevator conversation:
Me: “You draw the fluffiest furries I’ve ever seen!”
Tirrell: “That’s how they’re supposed to look.”
Me: “Right, but nobody draws them like that.”
- None of the pictures I took during Closing Ceremonies came out. Insert joke about Path here.
- When someone brings bubble wrap for pick-up to the art show you know they buy a lot of art 0_0
- Got plenty of exercise helping tear down the Art show, and earned enough time for a free registration next year!
- I had originally planned to stay till Monday, but I have too much adulting to do, so I hit I-35 at 10PM
- It was hard for me to leave ‘early’ though MUST PHOTOGRAPH ALL THE FURSUITERS
- If you are a fursuiter and I didn’t take your picture, I AM SO SORRY
- My friends and I got ‘furtobombed’ by Zig-Zag at the end!
- Didn’t run into any of the storms on the drive home but saw lots of scary lightning!
- Had a scary moment on a patch of flooded construction, too
- Finally got home at 3AM,. I’m tired, but the good kind of tired
- Another great show, and I even helped (a little)!
And one late one:
80. At least we only have 11 months to wait until TFF 2018!
San Japan (totally not Cyborg) 009 happened last weekend. Amidst the new venue and new date, I noticed some things. If I took your picture (I was the dude with bear ears, see below) you can find it here!
#16: You are…somewhere?
THURSDAY NIGHT – Went in the old entrance of the Gonzalez Convention Center out of habit…oops
- New space is YUUUGE
- My fursuiter friends are already complaining about all the walking they’re going to be doing over the weekend.
- Artist alley is HUMONGOUS
- Dealer’s room is INSANE
- They ARE going to turn on the escalators in the Dealer’s room, right?
- Autograph area setup looks like what I see set up at comic-cons, hmm
- Located in the back corner, milk and eggs and all that
- If Labor Day does take a bite out of attendance, we’ll really see it on Friday, IMO
- Me gusta bigger panel room for Furry 101! About fuzzing time!
- The halls remind me of PAX South Year 1 but with the lights on
- Seriously, the HBG felt like a cavern back then with all the lights turned down
- Spiffy new booths for registration, ooh
Badges are less nice this year, a little more papery. Hope they hold up. Compared them to last year’s badges after the fact and they’re the same.
- Press badges get the same art as volunteer ones? BOO!
- The YUUUGE maps were just a bit confusing.
- Didn’t help that they put teensy ‘You Are Here’ stickers that were near-impossible to find. Maybe some gold stars or Pokeball stickers next time, guys?
- FRIDAY-This is my free day: No panels and my freaks aren’t showing up until late in the afternoon
- Arrived at 11 and easily found parking at the Houston street lot, wonder if that’s a sign
- Random person also walking to San Japan asked if the tin of Altoids rattling in my pocket were dice. OH HELL NO
#28: Overestimate much?
- Walked into the Henry B. via the main entrance this time. Is niiice!
- Finally found someone pickier than Alvin Von Devious to try and help with their fursuit. Came close to (metaphorically) flipping the table.
- Customer service tip: Just answer my question without the lame jokes, please.
- So who gets to be the under/sideboob/cheek checker?
- Escalators in the dealer’s room are shut off, no bueno.
- One dealer’s display had ALL THE BOOBS.
- But that’s okay because they’re just cartoons…right?
- “History of Anime in the US” got the biggest panel room and about 50 people showed up. Yes, I counted.
- Good panel, but come on, I had that many the first time I did Furry 101 three years ago at RealmsCon.
- Do they even check to see how many people actually show up at panels? Seriously.
- I kept waiting to hear one word at History of Anime but it never turned up: “Japanimation” That’s what we called it in the 80’s, kids!
- Friend and I did our good deed for the day getting a friend out of a jam.
- It took me a half hour but I had to claim the top spot on the Time Pilot game in the game room. EDS is on top where it belongs. *flex*
- Somehow I got pegged as the guy ‘running’ the furry meetup and some folks freaked when I showed up late. THAT’S NOT HOW THIS WORKS, GUYS
- SATURDAY-Easy parking on Houston St again, which has me slightly worried
- Saw displays made out of free Priority Mail boxes in the dealer’s room. Classy.
#26: Under….side…ALL THE BOOBS
- Only the first 100 people get an autograph? Interesting.
- “It is up to the artist whether 101+ get an autograph” There has to be a better way to say that without making the artist look like a complete tool.
- The Taito Groove Coaster video game calls the Space Invaders alien a ‘crab’ IT’S AN ALIEN GUYS
- I keep thinking ‘Spock ears’ whenever I see pointy ears
- An anime con is one of the few places where you can lose a fursuiter
- Need to mark the lanes in Artist Alley, which one is ‘Row 5’ again?
- Arrived too late to the Bitforce concert to take advantage of my press badge, pbbt
- Wonder if they had technical problems; we could see the lead guitarist was shredding his fingers off but could barely hear him. Otherwise, good show!
- Except for the game room, the air conditioning seems to be holding up well.
- Good thing too, because I was soaking after the occasional three-block walk to my car.
- The paleta man is back, woo!
#47: Hello, old friend!
- Nearly filled up our medium-sized panel room for Furry 101, w00t.
- 45 minute time limit threw me off, though, may have to reorganize things for next time.
- I only have two cosplays (Professor Utonium and Soos). I didn’t wear either, and saw the perfect people to take pictures with (The Powerpuff Girls and Giffany)! ARGH
- 18+ maid cafe was fun!
- Tipsy elevator normies were…interesting.
- Tipsy normie asked: “WHY YOU WEARING MOUSE EARS?” I’m not going to debate with someone holding a drink in public, they won’t remember anyway.
- SUNDAY-Less parking at the lot, but still no problem finding a spot; be interesting to see the attendance this year (It was down 12%)
- Been seeing a lot of ‘robot guts’ shirts around, guess they’re a hit.
- Hey panel door guy, the door opens when I say so, capisce?
- Noticed a lot of Judy Hopps cosplayers, bunny ears, Nick Wildes, and even an Assistant Mayor Bellweather. YAY ZOOTOPIA!
- Overwatch was also popular. I don’t even play the game, but for my friends it’s always HIIIGH NOOOON.
- Left early because the show just isn’t as fun without my friends!
- Mizuumi-Con is now “Otaku Fair” That’s good.
- Otaku Fair decided to not make any further announcements about their new event at THE BIGGEST EVENT IN THE CITY FOR POTENTIAL ATTENDEES. That’s not good.
- Observation: Labor Day weekend works great for older folks like myself. For the youngn’s, though, not so much.
#10: Where am I, now?
Another year, another San Japan! I presented two panels and took lots of cosplayer pictures!
- BEFORE THE SHOW-Went to a bronycon to practice ‘Furry 101’ for San Japan and now I’m going to do a ‘live podcast’ there. YOU OWE ME HENKIN
- Bought a 30-pack of Vitamin-C fizzy-drink packets for this and future cons, be interesting to see how long they last
- Looking forward to using my iPad mini during my panels, no more lugging around my laptop!
- Thing I hope to not see but probably will: people scalping Maid Café tickets.
- So there’s a ‘blue moon’ Friday night when I’m doing a panel with WolfBoy. GREAAAT
- I spend more time worrying about what I’m going to wear to a convention than to my job
- 100+ plus forecast means no black shirts, thank you
- Decided to lend my driveway to some friends for the weekend…who didn’t park in the driveway /facepalm
- Sorry, 7-11, but Valero has God’s Coke Machine
- Nice giant maps, just missing a “You are here” sticker
- Did AA get smaller? (answer: no)
- Did the Dealers room get…taller? (answer: mmmaybe)
- I’m getting a little bit of that ‘where’s the anime’ vibe from some of the vendors in the Dealers room
- Looks like the Grand Hyatt has become the ‘No Fun Zone’
- Got my ears fixed all professional-like, yay!
- S. David Ramirez’s cut in half business cards = GENIUS
- FRIDAY -Friend: “I don’t like waking up early on my day off.” You wanted a ride, so deal with it, Frumpasarus Rex
- I bought him donuts so all was forgiven
- Stupid Windows Phone Guidebook app being derpy. Need to get an iPhone
- I keep wanting to go in the wrong way of the Dealers Den >.<
- Taco Bell at the Rivercenter Mall? REALLY?
- Room 002? I thought it was 202 WHARRGARBL
- These artist displays are getting to the point where you have to struggle to find the ARTIST now.
- Dave gave me a panel that no one would show up to so he could hide for an hour.
- That’s okay because DAVE-SENPAI NOTICED ME
- You know it was a long day when your electronics start to give out, iPad and phone both ran out of juice.
- Hit over 10,000 steps today according to my 3DS, think that’s the highest I’ve ever done in a day.
- Which means I need to get more exercise >.<
- Internets on my Cricket/AT&T phone are flaky as all heck, might need to get a new provider when I decide to pull the trigger on that iPhone.
- SATURDAY-Got up at oh dark thirty to get a parking spot >.<
- I can’t help but notice the little things that are wrong with some of the retro-styled merch
- Yay for wide aisles!
- Popular cosplay: Steven Universe
- Two BayMaxes got quite a bit of attention
- One does not simply talk to a table-top player mid game. Fist-bump and move on.
- Person in car at crosswalk: “What is this?” Me: “Comic Con” I FAILED YOU DAVE-SENPAI
- AA was blocked off for a while, Fire Marshals, maybe??
- Perhaps they should have ran the line INTO the convention center instead of the atrium. Fursuiter friends were not happy
- Yay for Stephanie and her full panel room!
- Picked up an ocarina on a whim. *insert drummer joke here*
- If the maid café ain’t all its cracked up to be, I want a refund…from Chris
- ‘Perfect spot’ right in the sunlight THANKS CHRIS
- Going to add the Pokémon theme to my list of songs anime nerds sing on command
- Maid café was a nice change of pace, a pleasant way to spend an hour in what is often a overwhelmingly manic event
- Unlimited samples of Coke? DON’T MIND IF I DO
- Dear mock combat people: Please figure out how big your arena is going to be ahead of time instead of telling people to move back multiple times
- Between the wristband policy and lack of chill spaces, I’m thinking the Hyatt doesn’t like San Japan attendees
- SUNDAY-Forgot to take my C this morning, hope I don’t regret it.
- No selfies for me, dumb cheap no front camera-having phone XP
- I see San Japan charges the ‘fat tax’ for larger shirt sizes
- Screaming JUST DO IT has become a thing. Greaaat
- I’d rather yell OHHHHH with Mordecai and Rigby
- I’m starting to think Bluetooth speakers are one of mankind’s worst inventions. I DEMAND A BAN.
- Unless breakdancing is involved, then we’re cool.
- Full house for Furry 101, w00t
#55 Full house!
- I’ll get a Lightning->VGA adapter because ‘cons don’t have the latest equipment’ I come in and see a projector with an HDMI cable CRAP
- Found a cable but iPad no likey YOU HAD ONE JOB, iPad!
- Ended up using the silly thing as a clock. A FUZZING CLOCK
- Thank God AJ showed up with his laptop
- Joel did a bang-up job as my co-presenter, added some humor to the proceedings
- Guess I’ll always be the Dean Martin to someone else’s Jerry Lewis
- The half-hour length of my presentation used to bother me, but it leaves time for questions and pictures!
- Hit the road after the panel, another great time!
- It’s Cyborg 009, guys! Whole world of difference!