San Japan is probably my favorite convention, bar none, and this year was great! As always, I noticed a few things…
- BEFORE – I’m guessing “Magical Universe” means there will be a lot more Sailor Moon crossplayers.
- They’re going to have to try pretty hard to top Okashicon for: “Con with the most pinks and pastels” prize.
- Between this and Furry Fiesta 2019’s ‘Roll Fur Initiative” theme, I’m not feeling a lot of love.
- As a nerd who’s old enough to have owned an Atari 2600, I’m not exactly the target audience, so yeah.
- I’m getting a new fursuit and this will be my first time wearing it. It’s just the thing for MID-90 DEGREE WEATHER.
- In addition to the usual con prep, I’m also looking for a new job and getting my house ready to be put on sale the Tuesday after. No rest for the weary! >.<
- I guess I can’t awkwardly refer to San Japan as a ‘Comic-Con’ anymore to normies for fear of being sued by SDCC.
- Staying at the nearby Tru by Hilton, which apparently is a more modern hotel, which means it annoys me somewhat.
- Thing I forgot (again): Aftershave.
- Chili’s seems to have become our San Japan Thursday dinner go-to.
- Looks like my fursuit won’t be ready for the show. Given the temperature outside and my lack of experience, it’s likely just as well.
- Had a funny moment with a friend when I had to remind him that he wasn’t working on Labor Day the following Monday.
- Dave: “You can have ambience or you can have a butt-load of arcade games.” I’m glad he went with Door #2.
- Maybe they should change the name to ‘Sign Japan.’
- I find the lack of security on Thursday nights to be just a little concerning.
- FRIDAY – Nothing like waking up early to go feed the meter; a small price to pay for cheap parking!
- I was happy with my badge art until I saw the volunteer badges have the same art and now I’m less happy.
#14 The signage was YUUGE!
- Yay escalators!
- Yay, I forgot about the escalators and took the scenic route down to Artist Alley!
- Furst World Problems: I quit wearing my ears because the hairband kept digging into my head.
- I got a haircut the other day so there is less hair to cushion it now.
- The uneven lanes the Artist Alley are just a little weird.
- No panels to run on Friday: HOW DO I HAVE FUN?
- Retro Game Museum might be better off being called “Pong Museum.”
- Might need to put together a video game history panel, made better because I WAS THERE FOR MOST OF IT.
- The arcade was cool, though the sound on the music games wasn’t always loud enough.
- You know the competition between the three(!) Chinese joints at Rivercenter Mall is crazy when someone tries to hand you a sample WHILE YOU’RE IN LINE FOR THE PLACE NEXT DOOR.
- SATURDAY – I didn’t have enough change to feed the meter for the whole day, so I decided to live dangerously.
- Old hotness: Annoying music over Bluetooth speaker. New hotness: Watching anime subs on your phone with the volume turned up
- Sign of the times: Sriracha at the breakfast buffet
- Thanks for the retweet, Dave. Be nice if your Twitter account wasn’t protected, but such is life.
- I had an unfortunate situation with the light switches before Furry 101…maybe not for me, but the dance contest people next door likely hate me now.
- Very happy with the turnout and participation at Furry 101 this year, thanks for the help, San Antonio furries!
- I always have to buy a paleta from the vendor in front of the Henry B…BECAUSE REASONS
- It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to lose fursuiters at an anime con!
- There seem to be more people wearing ears and tails this year, hmm.
- Chili’s again for supper. I’m okay with that.
- SUNDAY – Good trend: Vendors playing 80s music
- I’m still having difficulty finding cool stickers for my my laptop, though I did buy a chibi Bender.
- I’m pretty much forced to stay all day thanks to having a panel scheduled at 530 PM.
- Decision time: Carry my laptop around all day or return to my car to get it at 500 PM. I went with door #1
- Luckily, there is less me to carry around this time so it wasn’t a big problem.
- Dunno if anyone is going to be at “How to Panel,” but the show must go on.
#39 Bite my shiny chibi ass!
Maybe I’ll use the setup time to take a nap.
- Mental note: Add a “Finish on time and clear the room” slide to the presentation because the group before me didn’t.
- Yay, people showed up…including one person with REALLY weird questions. Sometimes you get ‘that guy’ at a panel, and he definitely was THAT GUY.
- Overall, the panel went well. I learned some stuff and made notes to add stuff to the presentation to make the next one even better!
- I took one of those Lime-S rental scooters back to the car, it was pretty cool!
- I was relieved to not find a citation on the my vehicle when I returned to it.
- I really can’t find anything major that went wrong this year, it’s gonna be a boring post-game Con Talk episode.
- San Japan XII: Sports?! Finally, a theme I can get behind!
#13 It’s YUUUGE!
The tenth San Japan came and went like a lion. I had three panels to do and my compatriot WolfBoy had furry things to do. As always, I noticed a few things…
- BEFORE-Okay San Japan people, I’ll do a third panel I’ve never done before and have to prepare in three days because you asked so nicely. Just spell my name right in the schedule this time, mmmkay?
- Time to retire my 2009 iMac from recording duties, it derped out on me when recording the pre-game podcast and ate some audio >.<
- I asked a friend if he was going to San Japan and he said he was more of an ‘indie rock’ guy versus ‘arena rock’ so I had to try to convince him that San Japan wasn’t just another ‘autograph-con’
- Holy cats, did we get salty during the pre-game podcast.
- I’ll be wearing my smartwatch for the first time since I got laid off because I HAVE IMPORTANT ANIME CON THINGS TO DO.
- I also won’t be wearing my rings. I’ve lost enough weight to where they’re starting to slip off my fingers now; a good problem to have.
- PROTIP: You can read the Chili’s lunch special menu through the window if you want to be weird
- Walking through the mall, WolfBoy and I decided to stop and take a seat…in front of the Victoria’s Secret. YEAH, NOT CREEPY AT ALL
- It says something that I can get 12 Streetpasses in my hotel room on Thursday night
- I finally remembered my Nintendo 3DS this time!
- As I get the presentation together for the third panel, I’m really looking forward to putting it on!
- Seems folks are taking a bit longer than usual to get set up, either that or were just really early
- I asked for a bigger panel room and I got it…boy, did I get it 0_0
- THURSDAY NIGHT-530pm No Japanese arcade machines set up. WolfBoy: “WORST CON EVAR!”
1000pm Initial D cabinet set up. WolfBoy: “BEST CON EVAR!”
- Idiots asking “Is San Japan not happening because of Hurricane Harvey or gas shortages?” should be charged double for their badges.
- Concerning: Nobody was watching the entrances Thursday night
- Also concerning: The way too wide open aisles behind the artists with nothing to keep people from walking down them. Hope there aren’t any thefts.
- At the risk of sounding like a shill, Verizon service has been pretty awesomesauce. A little slow at times, but ‘slow’ is better than ‘none.’
#17 Maybe too much space, guys?
- FRIDAY-First the signs weren’t big enough, and now they aren’t spelled right. This is why Dave is already grey, people!
- Charger box things at the Henry B are almost a good idea, the flaw is that most folks can’t bear to be away from their phones
- Dear Guidebook: If I only have one event downloaded PLEASE OPEN THE FREAKING EVENT WHEN I LAUNCH THE APP, K?
- Also: TOO MANY SCHEDULE FILTER OPTIONS
- Artist friends: Don’t just say “I’m in artist alley, find me.” There are over 100 artists. I NEED DETAILS!
- Sure, WolfBoy, it’s only 90 degrees outside and you’re wearing a partial fursuit with a dark business suit LETS GO
- Always adorable to see little girls taking pictures with Wonder Woman cosplayers
- Not sure why, but they kicked up the difficulty on the Time Pilot game in the game room. I spent longer than usual getting the high score.
- Got inadvertently put to work in Registration directing traffic for ten minutes. JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT THEY PULL ME BACK IN
- Almost lost my badge before Furry 101, yipes!
- As I saw people walk away from the convention center for dinner, I had a feeling attendance was going to be down for Furry 101.
- Dear former coworker: If I didn’t want to talk to you at work, what makes you think I’m going to want to talk to you outside of work?
- I apparently can’t give a panel if I can’t read my presentation, the rear projection screens at Furry 101 completely threw me off >.<
- Just as well, I don’t like presenting while standing over people on a stage.
- We had 150-200 people at the panel, I guess that justifies the biggest room at the con. 😛
- Annoying thing: People that use Q&A time to make dumb jokes. Get a life.
#58 Batteries not required!
- REALLY annoying thing: People that try to answer questions during the Q&A part of my panel. GET YOUR OWN PANEL
- The A/V guy was very complimentary after Furry 101, though. Thanks man!
- The only time I get a ton of steps is at cons and after 20,000 today, my dogs were barking.
- By ‘dogs’ I mean feet, not like actual dogs or furry costumed dogs.
- SATURDAY-When you’re up at 6am on Saturday morning, you’re up, what can I say
- If you aren’t willing to make your own waffle at the hotel breakfast, YOU DON’T WANT IT BAD ENOUGH.
- There is another event happening at the Henry B, which answers the question of why there was a higher-than usual number of older Mexican women around downtown San Antonio in the morning.
- Weirdest thing I’ve heard so far: “Dad, doesn’t she have nice boobs?”
- There seem to be quite a few empty tables even in the Dealer’s room; an effect of Harvey, perhaps?
- The number of people donating blood is pretty awesome
- Peeked in on the panel that took my spot from the beta schedule and they had just as many people as I had the night before…maybe less.
- To be fair, they’re a major sponsor and I’m just a guy with a microphone, an attitude, and weird friends.
- I kinda want a Steven Universe T-shirt (think I got a little resemblance to Steven there) but I kinda don’t want to pay thirt bucks for one
- To the harpy working A/V before my audio panel: If you don’t want attitude thrown back at you, don’t fire first. I’ve done tech support too, but I treated my people and customers with respect until they gave me a reason not to.
- “Really Basic Auido Recording” was easily the worst panel I’ve done in a while; next time I’ll just say no…or hold another ‘hide Dave for an hour podcast’ panel.
- That said, the few people that did hang around had really good questions!
- Bad idea: Dragging a boom mic (and it’s heavy base) to the panel. I think I’ll use a Rock Band mic next time to make a point.
- Heard an ambulance and thought ‘Oh boy, it’s a party now,’ but it didn’t stop at the con
- SUNDAY-Other artist booths : Out to lunch Friend’s booth: Out Fursuiting
#19 Someone needs to be fyred
- To the people playing Bee Gees and Michael Jackson on their Bluetooth speakers: THANK YOU FOR PLAYING GOOD MUSIC
- That said, can we just ban those damn things from cons already?
- Had to defend my honor by retaking the top spot on the Time Pilot game (see #26). I doubled the score that had topped mine. BEAT THAT, AAA!
- Parking lot guy: “Twenty bucks”
I parked at the city lot across from the Hyatt for $11 so NEENER NEENER PARKING LOT GUY
- Old hotness: Mind-reading robot cat ears
New hotness: Ballcaps with words
- Thing to remember for next year: Fursuit straws!
- I think I’m finally over being weirded out by crossplay…mostly.
- Funniest question of the weekend: “Are you a Mawg?”
- E-book panel went awesomely; lots of people with good questions and I had JUST enough handouts!
- Two out of three good panels ain’t bad!
- Highly disappointed in the other ‘How to publish books’ panel; I spent 25 minutes hearing the guest blab on about herself and walked out. I think I had a bigger audience, too.
- I’m going to be that old guy (because I am) and mention that too many products and displays in Artist Alley/Dealer Room had swear words on them. There seemed to be less nudity than in years past, though
- AFTER- Might be time to retire my digital camera, too many ‘ghost spots’ >.<
- Step count: Thursday 19627, Friday 20797, Saturday 23268, Sunday 14284 I swear cons are the only place I get a lot of exercise, I should go to more!
San Japan (totally not Cyborg) 009 happened last weekend. Amidst the new venue and new date, I noticed some things. If I took your picture (I was the dude with bear ears, see below) you can find it here!
#16: You are…somewhere?
THURSDAY NIGHT – Went in the old entrance of the Gonzalez Convention Center out of habit…oops
- New space is YUUUGE
- My fursuiter friends are already complaining about all the walking they’re going to be doing over the weekend.
- Artist alley is HUMONGOUS
- Dealer’s room is INSANE
- They ARE going to turn on the escalators in the Dealer’s room, right?
- Autograph area setup looks like what I see set up at comic-cons, hmm
- Located in the back corner, milk and eggs and all that
- If Labor Day does take a bite out of attendance, we’ll really see it on Friday, IMO
- Me gusta bigger panel room for Furry 101! About fuzzing time!
- The halls remind me of PAX South Year 1 but with the lights on
- Seriously, the HBG felt like a cavern back then with all the lights turned down
- Spiffy new booths for registration, ooh
Badges are less nice this year, a little more papery. Hope they hold up. Compared them to last year’s badges after the fact and they’re the same.
- Press badges get the same art as volunteer ones? BOO!
- The YUUUGE maps were just a bit confusing.
- Didn’t help that they put teensy ‘You Are Here’ stickers that were near-impossible to find. Maybe some gold stars or Pokeball stickers next time, guys?
- FRIDAY-This is my free day: No panels and my freaks aren’t showing up until late in the afternoon
- Arrived at 11 and easily found parking at the Houston street lot, wonder if that’s a sign
- Random person also walking to San Japan asked if the tin of Altoids rattling in my pocket were dice. OH HELL NO
#28: Overestimate much?
- Walked into the Henry B. via the main entrance this time. Is niiice!
- Finally found someone pickier than Alvin Von Devious to try and help with their fursuit. Came close to (metaphorically) flipping the table.
- Customer service tip: Just answer my question without the lame jokes, please.
- So who gets to be the under/sideboob/cheek checker?
- Escalators in the dealer’s room are shut off, no bueno.
- One dealer’s display had ALL THE BOOBS.
- But that’s okay because they’re just cartoons…right?
- “History of Anime in the US” got the biggest panel room and about 50 people showed up. Yes, I counted.
- Good panel, but come on, I had that many the first time I did Furry 101 three years ago at RealmsCon.
- Do they even check to see how many people actually show up at panels? Seriously.
- I kept waiting to hear one word at History of Anime but it never turned up: “Japanimation” That’s what we called it in the 80’s, kids!
- Friend and I did our good deed for the day getting a friend out of a jam.
- It took me a half hour but I had to claim the top spot on the Time Pilot game in the game room. EDS is on top where it belongs. *flex*
- Somehow I got pegged as the guy ‘running’ the furry meetup and some folks freaked when I showed up late. THAT’S NOT HOW THIS WORKS, GUYS
- SATURDAY-Easy parking on Houston St again, which has me slightly worried
- Saw displays made out of free Priority Mail boxes in the dealer’s room. Classy.
#26: Under….side…ALL THE BOOBS
- Only the first 100 people get an autograph? Interesting.
- “It is up to the artist whether 101+ get an autograph” There has to be a better way to say that without making the artist look like a complete tool.
- The Taito Groove Coaster video game calls the Space Invaders alien a ‘crab’ IT’S AN ALIEN GUYS
- I keep thinking ‘Spock ears’ whenever I see pointy ears
- An anime con is one of the few places where you can lose a fursuiter
- Need to mark the lanes in Artist Alley, which one is ‘Row 5’ again?
- Arrived too late to the Bitforce concert to take advantage of my press badge, pbbt
- Wonder if they had technical problems; we could see the lead guitarist was shredding his fingers off but could barely hear him. Otherwise, good show!
- Except for the game room, the air conditioning seems to be holding up well.
- Good thing too, because I was soaking after the occasional three-block walk to my car.
- The paleta man is back, woo!
#47: Hello, old friend!
- Nearly filled up our medium-sized panel room for Furry 101, w00t.
- 45 minute time limit threw me off, though, may have to reorganize things for next time.
- I only have two cosplays (Professor Utonium and Soos). I didn’t wear either, and saw the perfect people to take pictures with (The Powerpuff Girls and Giffany)! ARGH
- 18+ maid cafe was fun!
- Tipsy elevator normies were…interesting.
- Tipsy normie asked: “WHY YOU WEARING MOUSE EARS?” I’m not going to debate with someone holding a drink in public, they won’t remember anyway.
- SUNDAY-Less parking at the lot, but still no problem finding a spot; be interesting to see the attendance this year (It was down 12%)
- Been seeing a lot of ‘robot guts’ shirts around, guess they’re a hit.
- Hey panel door guy, the door opens when I say so, capisce?
- Noticed a lot of Judy Hopps cosplayers, bunny ears, Nick Wildes, and even an Assistant Mayor Bellweather. YAY ZOOTOPIA!
- Overwatch was also popular. I don’t even play the game, but for my friends it’s always HIIIGH NOOOON.
- Left early because the show just isn’t as fun without my friends!
- Mizuumi-Con is now “Otaku Fair” That’s good.
- Otaku Fair decided to not make any further announcements about their new event at THE BIGGEST EVENT IN THE CITY FOR POTENTIAL ATTENDEES. That’s not good.
- Observation: Labor Day weekend works great for older folks like myself. For the youngn’s, though, not so much.
#10: Where am I, now?
Another year, another San Japan! I presented two panels and took lots of cosplayer pictures!
- BEFORE THE SHOW-Went to a bronycon to practice ‘Furry 101’ for San Japan and now I’m going to do a ‘live podcast’ there. YOU OWE ME HENKIN
- Bought a 30-pack of Vitamin-C fizzy-drink packets for this and future cons, be interesting to see how long they last
- Looking forward to using my iPad mini during my panels, no more lugging around my laptop!
- Thing I hope to not see but probably will: people scalping Maid Café tickets.
- So there’s a ‘blue moon’ Friday night when I’m doing a panel with WolfBoy. GREAAAT
- I spend more time worrying about what I’m going to wear to a convention than to my job
- 100+ plus forecast means no black shirts, thank you
- Decided to lend my driveway to some friends for the weekend…who didn’t park in the driveway /facepalm
- Sorry, 7-11, but Valero has God’s Coke Machine
- Nice giant maps, just missing a “You are here” sticker
- Did AA get smaller? (answer: no)
- Did the Dealers room get…taller? (answer: mmmaybe)
- I’m getting a little bit of that ‘where’s the anime’ vibe from some of the vendors in the Dealers room
- Looks like the Grand Hyatt has become the ‘No Fun Zone’
- Got my ears fixed all professional-like, yay!
- S. David Ramirez’s cut in half business cards = GENIUS
- FRIDAY -Friend: “I don’t like waking up early on my day off.” You wanted a ride, so deal with it, Frumpasarus Rex
- I bought him donuts so all was forgiven
- Stupid Windows Phone Guidebook app being derpy. Need to get an iPhone
- I keep wanting to go in the wrong way of the Dealers Den >.<
- Taco Bell at the Rivercenter Mall? REALLY?
- Room 002? I thought it was 202 WHARRGARBL
- These artist displays are getting to the point where you have to struggle to find the ARTIST now.
- Dave gave me a panel that no one would show up to so he could hide for an hour.
- That’s okay because DAVE-SENPAI NOTICED ME
- You know it was a long day when your electronics start to give out, iPad and phone both ran out of juice.
- Hit over 10,000 steps today according to my 3DS, think that’s the highest I’ve ever done in a day.
- Which means I need to get more exercise >.<
- Internets on my Cricket/AT&T phone are flaky as all heck, might need to get a new provider when I decide to pull the trigger on that iPhone.
- SATURDAY-Got up at oh dark thirty to get a parking spot >.<
- I can’t help but notice the little things that are wrong with some of the retro-styled merch
- Yay for wide aisles!
- Popular cosplay: Steven Universe
- Two BayMaxes got quite a bit of attention
- One does not simply talk to a table-top player mid game. Fist-bump and move on.
- Person in car at crosswalk: “What is this?” Me: “Comic Con” I FAILED YOU DAVE-SENPAI
- AA was blocked off for a while, Fire Marshals, maybe??
- Perhaps they should have ran the line INTO the convention center instead of the atrium. Fursuiter friends were not happy
- Yay for Stephanie and her full panel room!
- Picked up an ocarina on a whim. *insert drummer joke here*
- If the maid café ain’t all its cracked up to be, I want a refund…from Chris
- ‘Perfect spot’ right in the sunlight THANKS CHRIS
- Going to add the Pokémon theme to my list of songs anime nerds sing on command
- Maid café was a nice change of pace, a pleasant way to spend an hour in what is often a overwhelmingly manic event
- Unlimited samples of Coke? DON’T MIND IF I DO
- Dear mock combat people: Please figure out how big your arena is going to be ahead of time instead of telling people to move back multiple times
- Between the wristband policy and lack of chill spaces, I’m thinking the Hyatt doesn’t like San Japan attendees
- SUNDAY-Forgot to take my C this morning, hope I don’t regret it.
- No selfies for me, dumb cheap no front camera-having phone XP
- I see San Japan charges the ‘fat tax’ for larger shirt sizes
- Screaming JUST DO IT has become a thing. Greaaat
- I’d rather yell OHHHHH with Mordecai and Rigby
- I’m starting to think Bluetooth speakers are one of mankind’s worst inventions. I DEMAND A BAN.
- Unless breakdancing is involved, then we’re cool.
- Full house for Furry 101, w00t
#55 Full house!
- I’ll get a Lightning->VGA adapter because ‘cons don’t have the latest equipment’ I come in and see a projector with an HDMI cable CRAP
- Found a cable but iPad no likey YOU HAD ONE JOB, iPad!
- Ended up using the silly thing as a clock. A FUZZING CLOCK
- Thank God AJ showed up with his laptop
- Joel did a bang-up job as my co-presenter, added some humor to the proceedings
- Guess I’ll always be the Dean Martin to someone else’s Jerry Lewis
- The half-hour length of my presentation used to bother me, but it leaves time for questions and pictures!
- Hit the road after the panel, another great time!
- It’s Cyborg 009, guys! Whole world of difference!
San Japan (San Antonio’s biggest anime con) and Nine-Tails (San Antonio anime store run by some cool peoples) put on a small event at Wonderland of the Americas Mall last Saturday, so here we go!
#12 – Bad wolf-dog-person thing!!
- I was involved in mini-cons before they were cool…just sayin’
- Attendance at the last mini-con was just over 100, so how is this mini-mini?
- Compared to San Japan’s 14K+ attendance last year, I guess just over 1,000 is mini (I’ll stop talking about that now)
- My panel, “Furry 101,” was scheduled against the cosplay show, hopefully it won’t impact attendance too much.
- I often joke about how Wonderland of the Americas Mall is deader than disco except for when nerd events happen, but this one was particularly packed.
- I kept seeing people with ice cream cones and I WANTED ONE SO BAD
- Didn’t help that the mall was quite warm, I was sweating about as much asmy fursuiting friends were.
- Between my panel and my fursuiting friends, I had plenty of logistical things to work out.
- Remembered to bring my 3DS to the to harvest those sweet, sweet puzzle pieces, and left it in the car >.<
- Despite that, it picked up 10 passes anyway.
- I’m not a fursuiter, but it even irks me when people ‘break the magic.’ Come on, guys!
- I told Alvin Von Derpious he would end up scaring some kid and it finally happened…WAY TO GO, DUDE
- Nine-Tails looked like Club 54 with the line outside.
- Hearing the “Teen Titans Go” theme being played live by BitForce was pretty cool!
- Left in the car #2: my bear ears. So much for my ‘furry cred.’
- Twelve people were there for the beginning of my “Furry 101” panel, so I guess being scheduled opposite the cosplay show had an effect. :I
- The panel was recorded this time! Thanks, Furball!
- It went well, my constant swinging back and forth notwithstanding.
- I was also talking with my hands and doing a sing-song voice…blame it on my genes 😉
- A few more people walked in during the panel, had an okay crowd of about half-filled with furries. 😀
- Dunno If they announced the panels over the PA beforehand, but it would have been nice.
- Overall, it was a fun event, plenty to see, do, buy, and friends to catch up with!
- How is it nobody registered miniminicon.com beforehand??
San Japan is this weekend, and I’m really not sure what I’m going to do. Granted, I know what I have to do, and that’s assist with two panels for originalgamer.com as well as host my own “How To Publish E-Books” panel, but outside of ‘working’ at those panels, I don’t have anything planned.
I’ve joked in the past about how one either works at a convention or has fun, but can’t do both. Its been so long since I’ve had significant free time at San Japan that I’m not sure I remember how to have fun there. I don’t cosplay, I don’t care much about the guests (sorry) or the dances or the cosplay contest or watch many of the popular shows, which doesn’t really leave much left to do.
Thus, I’ll probably spend most of San Japan hanging out with friends. I know people that help out with the event, sell in the dealer room or artists area, wear costumes, or, much like myself, just happen to be there.
And truthfully, how much more fun do I need than that?