iOS 11 just happened to drop on the same day I bought a new 32 GB iPhone SE in order to replace my 16 GB iPhone 6 and switch over to a prepaid plan. The 6 was running low on storage space and the SE was on sale, so why the heck not upgrade my OS and my phone on the same day!
- First things first: Upgrade my iPhone 6 to iOS 11. Maybe I can use that as a selling point after I move to the SE.
- I can’t help but cackle at glee at how many problems iOS 11 is likely causing for customers at my old job. Jerks.
- Yes, I am saying my former customers and my former employer are jerks.
- Free space on 16GB iPhone 6 before upgrade: 900 MB. Free space after: 4.9 GB. WTF?
- When I hit the Wireless or Bluetooth buttons in the Control Center I expect them TO TURN OFF, not just disconnect. No bueno. iOS!
- Is a Location on/off button in the Control Center too much to ask for? Android has had one in their Notification Area for years. Don’t you want to be cool like Android, iOS?
- On a related note, the fact that Apple constantly wants to know where you are is mildly creepy.
- Why would I want to turn off the cellular part by itself? Isn’t that what Airplane Mode is for?
- The “Do Not Disturb While Driving” thing is pretty cool.
- The Pebble smartwatch app is still standing; it’ll be a sad day when it or my watch stops working. Stupid FitBit.
- From the ‘what took Apple so long’ department: Files. Yeah.
- Only four app updates to install…so far!
- All in all, iOS 11 is pretty nice, with a few annoyances I can live with. On to the new phone!
- Why not Android? Let’s see: For $200 I can get a questionable phone with a lousy camera and maybe one OS update or a really good phone with an awesome camera that will get updates for a few years.
- Despite the smaller screen, I consider the SE an upgrade. Better CPU, twice the storage, and a better camera.
- Yeah, yeah. I shouldn’t have bought the 16GB model two years ago, but here we are.
- The SE is small enough to fit in my pocket and not be constantly clipped to my belt looking like it’s there for something important.
- I’m sort-of trying to not be tied to my phone so much. I don’t know how successful I’ll be, but I’m trying!
- Funny how my old phone is nearly as big as the box my new one came in.
- Shopping for a case was a little annoying because the iPhone SE section at Ye Olde Electronics Store was cleaned out. It must have been one heck of a sale, or maybe the SE has become the ‘poor man’s iPhone.’
- Found an OtterBox case on the cheap at Wally Martinez (Wal-Mart) so maybe there’s something to that.
- Yay, another set of EarPods and Apple stickers I’ll never use.
- I can never put screen protectors on right.
- The gal at the activation line has an interesting accent. I wonder if she’s in the Philippines…FOR NO PARTICULAR REASON.
- Accidentally hung up on her once during the activation process. Oops.
- Apparently the dweebie at the Best Buy warehouse didn’t scan my new phone so it wasn’t technically ‘purchased.’ That led to WHY IS IT NOT WORKING ANYMORE ten minutes after activating it, which led to another phone call to Whereveritis-istan.
- Realization: I’m going to have to be super-careful to not drop this thing in the toilet.
- It took me a half day before I realized I hadn’t set up my ringtone.
- Apple productivity apps are useless to me without OneDrive support. Buh-bye.
- Garage Band, iMovie and TV apps on a 4-inch screen? Um, no. Gone.
- Free space: 22 GB That’s more like it!
- What the hell is up with not letting me use my phone as a hotspot, cellular prepaid people? Crazy idea: If people use up all their data tethering, THEY HAVE TO BUY MORE DATA WHICH MEANS YOU MAKE MORE MONEY. Idiots.
- Tethering seems to work just fine via USB, so neener-neener, prepaid cell phone weenies!
- Going to take a little adjusting to having a smaller phone, but I think the SE is going to work. Hopefully my new provider works out, too!
- I’m just waiting for that one friend (you know who you are) to see my new SE and say “OH MY GOD, IT’S A BABY PHONE!”